Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
Now here is a question.

I have the P4 servo but its single circuit . could I run that and just servo the front braking circuit ? just a thought ...
my 66 fairlane was disc front, drum rear and ahd a servo on the front circuit of the dual circuit brakes. it stopped fine without the tendency to lock the rears i've experienced with some yanks when you panic stop.
neil.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
cool that's all i wanted to know .. I thought it would be OK and act as a boost for the front and negate the need for a balance valve .. sounds like its a feesable option then. Many thanks .

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
yep, as with most of the things we do a lot is trial and error. it's nice to know someone's done what you propose though.
neil.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
had a wee break for a few days as my old fella was a bit unwell and has had to be fitted with a pacemaker,, Thats him back home and trying to get back to his normal .. So the rest of us are doing the same :)

Back in the shed for a catchup, made a start to the framework supporting the body panels . Made up the rear section and chpped about some beat up original series one body sides to do the needful. Managed to chop up the inner arches os the landrver bed as well and made them fit as part of the new floor and inner arch structure .. All in the interest of saving money :)

made a start to welding up the transmission tunnel, haven't used the AC on this welder for a while and always forget the settings on the multi function switch set up thing.. Worst part about the instructions being in Polish is I don't ever have a ready reference .. must remember to print out the Jasic instruction manual ..and keep it handy.

Any hoo the Ali welds are fine, not as neat as I would have liked but they are OK . I can knock them down if I'm feeling really fussy ..

One area I've found that needs attention later are the rear wheels . The rear track must be a little narrower than the front and as such the rear wheels look a bit buried in the arch .. Might have to get the grinder out and reverse the rims to increase the rear track width and give the impression of a wider wheel :)

any tips for wheel reversing especially with a nod to keeping them true ..

DSCF8800.JPG
DSCF8801.JPG
DSCF8804.JPG
DSCF8806.JPG

·
Registered
774 Posts
I want to respond but its difficult not to keep saying the same thing! But this is going to look really great Ian, makes me want to try something like this ( i lack the imagination though! )

Hope your Dad, gets back to (his) normal soon.

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
re the wheels, i'd fit some wider tyres first (added bonus of some rubber rake) then maybe if that's not enough a spacer too.
if you do want to reverse the rims then bolt the centres to a front hub (spins easier than rear and can turn on lock) with the rim tapped on roughly where you want it. after spinning and tapping 'til straight add one weld, spin again and add a weld opposite the first. spin again and weld between them, repeat and weld opposite. once you're happy it's straight weld up fully off the car. that's as good as it gets. have you ever spun a brand new steel wheel from the states? they often wobble all over the place.
neil.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Thanks chaps .

The old fella was lucky , took him to the docs and had to go from there straight to Hospital and he had his pacemaker fitted within 10 hours of being diagnosed .. apparently it was a close call.. but he looks fine now and pretty sure he is already fitter than ever ..the old Buggers gonna out live us all .. :)

made a wee bit of progress today , every little helps .. Probably should have made the bed a wee bit longer to cover the rear X member but will sort that later .. plenty other stuff to be cracking on with ..

I stuggle with the imagination bit as well.. This started as a result of being seducedbby pics of a super low V8 version but god knows how they managed to get it on the deck let alone get the V8 in there , Its a chassis that doesnt lend itself easily to other applications . :( been a few headaches over it so far .. Its all got to be simple, doable with out resorting to paying anyone for anything, and above all CHEAP . Still on target there ..

I did save a bit on the engine deal as I decided not to proceed with the V8 idea . The fella I was having the engine from was finding it hard to get the time to pull the motor so after I sourced the MGB engine and had that fitted, I got in touch to see how things were progressing , as it was, the engine was stll in the donor, so I asked if it would be OK to call HOLD on the deal and he could keep the deposit .. That was cool and he also offered me the full deposit back ( £200) I asked if he would be happy with a split and a shed load of goodwill and we come to a deal :) No hard feelings and we are all good :) Just the way it should be really after all its just a hobby and were all in the same boat .

Anyways , cost so far is still in the hundreds £ 245 for the chassis and V5 ( £56 back from the scrappy for the body)
£250 for the engine and gearbox, ( £100 back from the deposit for the V8) £190 for sheet materials . £45 for a master cylinder and thats about it so far ,, Just a tad under £600 in it .. BUT I will have to pay the fella for the series one panels which will be around the £400 mark so im in it for a £1000 .. Will maybe pick up a pair of bias ply boots for the rear pretty sure my buddy has a pair in his shed I can prise from his grasp.. :) the avon van tyres on the front are actually pretty decent . but might splash out on all new boots once its more or less sorted :)

better get back out there and crack on .. best work is done in the evenings :) lol..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: the wheels - have you considered fitting Land Rover 7 x 16 LWB/defender wheels? You can then fit a nice range of tyres too

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
GOOD IDEA CHANGING OUT THE FRONT VAN TYRES AS YOU CAN GO SMALLER AT THE SAME TIME. THEY'LL TUCK UNDER THE FRONT ARCHES BETTER THAT WAY TOO.
NEIL.
bloody caps lock :rolleyes:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
just getting wee bites at this just now .. really need to get a push on.. Can do with just buttoning a few things up and moving it along to be honest . Its a nice old thing but its a distraction from the main event if Im honest .. Ive got a 28 Ford roadster waiting in the shed , part done , usual story , and a 27 T standing on its nose in the shed .. could have built either of those in the time I have in this now LOL ..

Got the screen and bonnet brackets fitted and resumed work on the trans tunnel .. so not a lot done really ..

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
sure does and the mgb engine fits a treat. those early land rover engine bays aren't the largest.
neil.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Well folks Im not going to progress with this one , realised im way off at a tangent with stuff and need to get back on track and focus on the more important stuff I have .

I have under a grand in this , so if anyone is interested in a cheap project either to build as a road car or as something to run around your homestead or partake in hill climb events ( looking like a landrover) then fire me an offer .. before I dismantle it and sell it for parts.. Pretty sure its worth more in parts than I have in it with parts materials and time ( around 100 hours or so so far )

will fire an add up with a link to here for pics .. :)

61 - 75 of 75 Posts