Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

I thought id follow in the footsteps of hot rod trimmer and post a little blog type topic about the sort of stuff that happens day to day in a motorcycle based upholstery workshop.

There has been a couple of members on this forum that asked me to do something like this, obviously someone thinks it might be worth a read so i thought why not give it a go.

I'll post up some of the daily jobs and one off items i get asked to make and both good and bad upholstery that i have to deal with. There are some absolutely appalling jobs over the years that no one gets to hear about such as trying to recover a seat that's been used as a cats toilet and the time i found a rotting mouse inside a BSA seat....this and alot more.

Going back a little bit to the end of last year to some of the more custom items ive got asked to make.

This 1985 Ironhead was a bike i designed and built virtually from scratch, it was the first almost ground up build id ever done. Probably a little too big a job actually but i do like a challenge, this one really was jumping in at the deep end if im honest but was good fun and the customer was happy, which is the main thing.

Going from predominately upholstery to building and wiring this bike from scratch virtually single handed took just over 7 months, I had a guy rebuild the engine for me and basically get it running right.

More to come...

·
richard rawlplug
8,114 Posts
top bike that....well done.:tup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today i thought id put up a quick photo of a sporty that i painted and upholstered in 2013....the seat was done first which i managed to turn a very old leather horse blanket that id been holding onto for just such an occasion, the customer wanted something old and worn looking like the original old bates seats. This worked out pretty well actually such a shame i dont have any more of it left. The tank and mudguard were brought to me off the bike so i never got to see it altogether until he sent me this photo....hes done a great job modifying this sportster.

I'll compliment that with a selection of more recent solo seats in the same style

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes mate, leather washers stacked but you have to glue and pin them along the length to stop them individually spinning. There is actually a steel sleeve inside to mount them on but you do need a cap at both ends. What i'll probably do on the next set is drill the end caps and pin right through the length with brass pins through the cap aswell and then polish it off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the biggest paintjob ive ever done, this Roadking was a horrible grey colour when it came in, covered in orange peel from the previous guy who painted it...everything was scuffed and the wheels were badly corroded. I was asked to strip/paint/powdercoat and upholster a seat for it.

Turned out ok although these Roadkings so have alot of surface area to spray.

Sadly ive hung up my airbrush now and only take on smaller flake type jobs if they come about, mostly because people want everything for bugger all :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts