Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watching BBC 1 and see there are safety concerns about electric cars ...lack of noise :eek: It is to be discussed in Parliament today . The reports showed that Lotus are experiemnting with adding 'soundtracks' of petrol engines to their development cars to be played when the car is running

To things spring tomind, full on Hemi fragster sound tracks for your souped up 18 volt models or the low tech solution of a playing card and clothes peg against the front wheel ?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
hmm
i,m not really up on this new technology but i guess if you have a top fuel cassette in your eight track you would have to swap it for a quieter one for the MOT ?.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Ha, I saw that as well Kev, and the first thing I said to my wife is " attach a playing card to run in the spokes "

·
My name is Martin
2,613 Posts
I think this is bollocks to be honest. Modern car's aren't heard anyway unless they're accelerating or just a diseasel.

Radial tyres are noisy enough and people should be looking for moving cars when they cross roads not just listening out for them.

·
My name is Martin
2,613 Posts
It was specifically the RNIB that were raising concerns .
That's fair enough, but I think it's possibly a bit unfounded because I think tyre noise accounts for most of what you hear anyway.

·
Stroker
5,464 Posts
Wonder if they could come up with a new sound!?
maybe on two levels, one to set dogs a barking too

S'funny how other things use 'ancient' noises/icons like
21 century digital cameras/phones use a mechanical shutter noise
a download symbol on ya browser has a floppy disc :pmsl:

The young uns must wonder what that's all about! hmmm maybe not :shake:

Mind, if it came to pass the *G Browns* in charge would probably just put a curfew on unaccompanied 'challenged' folks going out.

One day we'll all sue the governments because they 'allowed' us to be born and thus die! murdering bastards!

·
My name is Martin
2,613 Posts
Yeah on one hand you have the tree hugging quiche eating brigade who ramp on about noise pollution from cars. Years of effort have been made to make the internal combustion engine quiter. Even diesels are kind of quiet.

Then they find the ultimate quiteness with the electric car and then it becomes too quiet.

So you can't win either way.

I personally think a horse trotting soundtrack would suit the electric car best.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Try looking at the amount of people who walk round with headphones stuck in their earholes, totally oblivious to the rest of the world. Either mobiles or ipods, they just walk off kerbs in front of you. So no amount of car type noise will help them. But of course they all add up in the traffic calming, lower the speed limits figures!

·
Shake it, Hobbes
170 Posts
They could all be fitted with those "Mr Whippy" type jingles. Just think how many kids would get their hopes up only to be dashed when a Prius or similar coasts around the corner!:D:incheek:

·
Rod'a'holic
1,037 Posts
The sound of a full blown street brawl. That would not be out of place in most towns in the UK according to the papers.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
I think it would have to be the card in spokes as any electrical device would drain the battery thus makeing them do even less miles per charge

Hold that thought maybe fitting them with a radio,amp,subs and all the gubbings will be a GOOD idea :tup:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
While have my plumbing sorted recently i was told by the plumber that its now legistration for the hot taps to be mounted on the left of baths and sinks due to the RNIB

Brilliant as the amount of blind people that uses them really out number the amount of kids that get scalded every year as the taps ar now within reach (sorry slightly OT)

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Gotta Love Clarkson's comment on the story ay the Times Online site...

Jeremy Clarkson, the Top Gear presenter and Sunday Times columnist, said: “The EU hasn’t done its sums. Something like 80% of the noise of cars comes from the tyres, not the engine or exhaust.

“When they call in the car industry to tell them, I expect the motor manufacturers will roll their eyes and say, ‘You hopeless money-grabbing bastards, you do realise you are talking nonsense?’ ”

·
My name is Martin
2,613 Posts
Didn't know Clarkson said that. He must have read what I said. Perhaps he posts on here secretly :lol:

The problem with Clarkson, is he's rarely correct and exaggerates alot so for that reason even if he is right his comments will go un-noticed or ignored.

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
maybe they should go back to a man with a red flag walking in front of them ?????????????

·
Registered
999 Posts
I remember when they launched motorcycle indicators with audible warnings to remind the rider if they were left on.
They had to stop installing, as some blind people mistook the indicator warning sound as zebra crossing audible warning & were stepping out in front of the bikes

1 - 20 of 32 Posts