Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently sold and re painted, the new owner has re done the stripes on this custom van, a tribute to a cool van that was and still is very much one of the nicest. Now owned by Dan Dawson and still running it's V6.

Some great info recieved by Wagonman Jan 2012

Dave Hilder - Marina Van
More history on Dave Hilder's Marina Van

Dave spent 6 years building the Marina van before he debuted it in 1983. It was his first custom project and it cost him over £6000, Dave admits that by the time he had finished it, it was already out of date.

Even after all that, he put it up for sale within 18 months as he was taking a trip Stateside and wanted to bring back a Fall Guy truck.

The van changed hands twice including sitting in a Southampton car dealers showroom for a while before being found stored in a garage in Jersey. It had apparently been there for about 20 years, everything was exactly how it was in 1983 except for some of the interior that had gone missing.

Despite it changing hands a few times, it had never officially changed keepers and when the V5 logbook came back it had Dave Hilder's name as the previous owner Ian Rubrey sympathetically restored it, rebuilt the running gear and did what was required to put it back on the road, still in original paint. I owned it for about 5 years including using it daily for over 12 months, it was sold on to a guy in Cornwall in August 2010. He has since resprayed it and retrimmed the interior.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lives down in deepest Devon owned by a good friend of mine Dan Dawson in Barnstaple. he's done a great job of restoring it, still runs the Ford V6, It will be out & about at shows in the South West again this year.
Geoff

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Did the van ever sell?

Micky T.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Hi as of today Im now the current custodian of the van, plans are to have the body work sorted and a few touches just to make it my own :D

·
richard rawlplug
8,120 Posts
Cool.i remember when wagonman had it.

·
Care in the Community
2,759 Posts
Yeah I pulled it out of 25 year slumber and put it back on the road around 2004/05, its been through a handful of owners since then, good to see it has another enthusiastic owner.

·
Registered
839 Posts
my favourite UK small van ever... ive even stuck a very similar stripe on my little combo van...i wanted to build a marina van after seeing Daves V6, but after seeing a drawing in CC i went down the 4x4 look with the higher suspension and and the 8 spokes...great to see this has survived... ( i just need to find my other favourite now... the red Hi Roller CF, with the yellow graphics )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts