1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Use a 1 piece gasket

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Never had a problem with the one piece silicone coated type. I use Vauhall silicone sealant where the block meets the timing cover and rear main

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Blue hylomar has always worked for me.
These days theres a superduper loctite product that Ford use to assemble their engines at the factory. Cant remember what the number is.
Yep used that, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Vauxhall one was identical.
It certainly seems so. It's just that Brammer (Locktite supplier) and Ford are the other side of town but Vauxhall is just down the road.

·
Administrator
10,034 Posts
I don't think they make a one peice seal for that age of engine?

You need to check whether you need a small or large seal on the front as the sump casings are different heights. Offer it up without a gasket & try to slide a feeler blade through the gap between the timing cover & sump. If it can go through you need a thick seal, if not a thin one.

Use a smear of proper RTV sealant BLACK INSTANT GASKET & SEALANT 100g RTV - REPLACES CONVENTIONAL GASKETS BB45 | eBay on both sides of the rubber seal, with a good dollop on each corner to seal to the cork side gaskets.

PS,

I have a high grade FelPro one peice gasket & crank seals (one peice) for sale if it's what you need - but I believe this will only fit later blocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts