Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
starting to crawl back up
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right i have an american flat bed truck thats rated at 4500 kgs gross it has been run as a special vehicle ,,mot exempt.
i want to down rate it to 3500kgs and put it through a class 7 mot
what is the correct way to go about it ???

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think you just go to a vosa centre and they do it,its easier to down rate,no springs an such are changed.My truck was a 10 tonner down rated to 7.5,she kept the 8 stud axles (compared to the factory 6 stud fitted to 7.5 tonners) and heavy leaf springs,just a different numbers on the logbook and chassis tag.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I downplated a motorhome. It is a paper exercise without an examination. I used a company in Preston that supplies a new sticker after I gave them a weigh bridge ticket to confirm the actual weight. The paperwork is sent to DVLA and the weight reduced on the V5C. It was a while ago now so things may have changed and my memory might be off.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The only problem you can run in to is if the truck weighs close to 3500kg when empty, by the time you have a full tank of fuel & a passenger or 2 you might be over weight, or if you tow anything then the nose weight of the trailer will put you over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts