Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there had any experience of chevy or gmc 6.2L or 6.5L turbo v8 engines, opinions please. thinking about a truck/wagon say 73 thru 88 years with 4x4 option .

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Detroit Diesel was formed when GM took over Allison and combined to form Detroit Diesel Division [ 1970 ]
The 6.2 and 6.5 are good if a little expensive and rare in the UK.
Designed for economy and long service more than power [ they can be fast if modified as any diesel drag racers know ]
Hummer motors basically the same but with different pulleys and acc. drives .
If you go 4x4 they get thirsty...

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi 65cn,

You probably want a chat with the owner of this Rod, seems to know his stuff and was getting good performance out of it not to mention 40 - 50 MPG when he drove it to belguim and back.

He is on the forum, but i can't remember his user name off the top of my head.

As it looks now.

As it looked early part of this year.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, there you go i got my wires crossed up detroit diesels are very impressive too big for me though !!!. i,m not looking for speed , just reliability and longevity. very interesting application in the rod , yes i would like to talk to this fella, anyone out there know who runs this rod please ??? early days yet, and i,m learning.
many thanks

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you want an expert on 6.2 and 6.5 turbo diesels try speaking to ABM-Vettes ,they are based in Weymouth so not too far from you.The owner runs a diesel turbo in his C4 vette ,he is friendly to talk to ,lots of hands on experience and can possibly help with finding bits or a complete engine call 07831-812120 .

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
well, there you go i got my wires crossed up detroit diesels are very impressive too big for me though !!!. i,m not looking for speed , just reliability and longevity. very interesting application in the rod , yes i would like to talk to this fella, anyone out there know who runs this rod please ??? early days yet, and i,m learning.
many thanks
Hi 65cn,

Found him, the diesel rod is owned by "rodrego" on the forum. He doesn't post very often, but he was browsing the forum lunchtime today.

Probably best to send him a PM.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I was talking to 'rodrego' on Tuesday evening, he ran a 15 at the HRDs while returning around 45 MPG. He's a fellow club member and knows his stuff.

Rog.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow its amazing this internet and how much one can learn, a far cry from 20 years ago ,thank you all for your help and advice i will contact both parties and have a chat about these engines . your help much appreciated .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts