Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the mother in law asks as per usual could i get her ford ka in for an mot, do it every year, no problems generally, passed last year with no more than a pair of front lower arms needed, but what did i find this time around?

yep, o/s sill has vanished over the 12 months!! i know ka,s were cheap but blimey it got tin foil sills. and yep i have the lovely job of replacing it, ho hum..........

·
Registered
131 Posts
A mate who owns a bodyshop tells me that they used to do sills every day a while ago - now it's very rare indeed. But the last one was a Ka...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Don't forget that a Ka is based on an old Fiesta floorpan.

And you wouldn't be surprised at having to weld one of those!

·
fixin your car
935 Posts
iv welded a couple of screen posts aswell as sills

its all part of the throw it away culture that's been put apon us, mainly due to crap cars being built.

it looks like my '65 amazon estate will out last any modern, it still has the origonal sills and floor with about 3 holes the size of a 5p coin, not bad for 45 years.

·
Woodchipper Extraordinair
2,305 Posts
Unfortunatley this may be just the start of your rust repair on this car, if the sills are shot then ill bet my last penny that the wheel arches are on there way too, problem is you wont see it till its totally knackered the quarter panels as the wheel arches are behind the bumper on a ka, also around the petrol flap is seriously prone to rusting out (more common to repair this than sills) aswell as around the rear wiper on the boot lid,

Having said all that i've got a Ka and its a fantastic little daily, but then again i worked in a ford main dealer body shop for two and a half years and got to know the usual rust spots very well.

Put the new sills on and wax oil the life outta em! :tup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts