Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain why ? You already have sidelights on cars why the need for dim dip ? Or do they do away with sidelights with models equipped with it ?

As a tech questions aside how is it achieved ,seperate bulb ,voltage drop or what .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dim dip puts the bulbs in series i.e. only 6v per bulb, when on dip proper they are paralled. Old Peugeots had the relays for this just inside the grill where they slowly filled up with water:wanker:

·
Registered
267 Posts
The ones I got for the Anglia have seperate bulbs. Ye olde Anglia indicators had clear lenses and twin filament bulbs, later ones had an orange lens and an extra bulb in the headlight cluster.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thta's fpr asidelight though isn't it Jon,rather than a dim dip like on modern cars ? I still don't know why we have them though ? If it's all in the headlight why do you need a dim dip as well as a sidelight ( I'm presuming they want dim dip because it shows a larger area ?).

I understand the need for sidelights in case a headlight dip bulb fails.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Think it was something to do with Europe in the earlier days (80s, 90s ?).
Uses the headlamp bulb, dip beam part, and a resistor. It only works when side lights and ignition are on, reistor takes its main feed from ign to operate.
Call me if you want a more detailed explaination, think I've got a wiring diagram here somewhere.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,503 Posts
I had a '97 Volvo 960 & that had the "traditional" small sidelights that could be used while parked, but as soon as you started the car the headlights went to "dim dip", switching the headlights "on" went to full-dip.

Never understood why either!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Found this................

U.K. regulations briefly required vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1987 to be equipped with a dim-dip device [27] or special running lamps, except such vehicles as comply fully with ECE Regulation 48 regarding installation of lighting equipment. A dim-dip device operates the low beam headlamps (called "dipped beam" in the UK) at between 10% and 20% of normal low-beam intensity. The running lamps permitted as an alternative to dim-dip were required to emit at least 200 candela straight ahead, and no more than 800 candela in any direction. In practice, most vehicles were equipped with the dim-dip option rather than the running lamps. [27]

The dim-dip systems were not intended for daytime use as DRLs. Rather, they operated if the engine was running and the driver switched on the parking lamps (called "sidelights" in the UK). Dim-dip was intended to provide a nighttime "town beam" with intensity between that of the parking lamps commonly used at the time by British drivers in city traffic after dark, and dipped (low) beams; the former were considered insufficiently intense to provide improved conspicuity in conditions requiring it, while the latter were considered too glaring for safe use in built-up areas. The UK was the only country to require such dim-dip systems, though vehicles so equipped were sold in other Commonwealth countries with left-hand traffic. [28]

In 1988, the European Commission successfully prosecuted the UK government in the European Court of Justice, arguing that the UK requirement for dim-dip was illegal under EC directives prohibiting member states from enacting vehicle lighting requirements not contained in pan-European EC directives. As a result, the UK requirement for dim-dip was quashed. [27] Nevertheless, dim-dip systems remain permitted, and while such systems are not presently as common as they once were, dim-dip functionality was fitted on many new cars well into the 1990s.[citation needed]

·
Registered
327 Posts
On subject of headligt, reckon all new Audi's along with most German cars, should be barred from havin those ultra bright halogen bulbs. Bloody blinds you havin one of them following you up road!

Maybe I should take this to the rant section! :D

·
Keyboard Worrier
411 Posts
Had an '88 Mini Mayfair that had dim-dips as standard, worked on a relay if I remember right. Only ever used them round town; unlike the DRLs on my old Volvo 440 which got me a tug from plod one day on the way home, overtook them at 75 on the M5 in the growing dark an the pissing rain not realising I didn't have my headlights on... :oops:

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Kev, remember something along the lines of the French bringing in a law that
you couldn't drive on sidelights only, hence the dim-dip idea.
This was about the time when they wanted everyone to change to yellow
headlights,which didn't catch on,so they threw in this 'curveball' as the yanks would put it.........only the French!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.