Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

disk brakes on a ford nine inch

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  stang bang 
#1 ·
hi there looking for some advice ,looking to put disk brakes on a ford nine inch ,has anybody got any alternative combinations to try and save a few pounds getting brackets etc made not a problem .cheers john

#3 ·
I normally use mercedes rear solid discs from mid 80s saloons w126?,
If using stock wheel studs a bit of filing Needed on the bolt holes to clear the shoulder on stock wheel studs,
Also you may need to open the centre hole for large bearing shafts,
And granada scorpio rear handbrake type calipers with a 3/8" thick fabricated bracket welded on the axle case,
You'll need make a 1/8" spacer to replace the drum brake backplate or cut the centre out of the existing back plates if you have them.

#6 ·
i have used mercedes disks and willwood callipers, made my own bolt on brackets so no welding to the case. to do the job properly yo will need to get some rings made up so the disk locates on the half shaft and also so the wheel locates correctly.

#8 ·
Hi John used the Merc Discs/Granada Caliper route myself and it works really good ,as some one said just have a set of mounting plates made to mount your calipers,
I used the MK3 Granada calipers not the " Bug Eye " style Garanada .I dont know if they are the same as they have a 4 stud wheel and the older ones have 5 stud,,,
Hope this helps
Merc W123 Series Discs I think if I remember right I used but have been told W124 series also works,,Granada handbrake cables also Cheers Andy and looking forward to the rest of the build

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.