Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
FIRST OFF
I'm not saying this is the only or best way of doing it ,just what worked for me.Secondly,I'm crap with a camera,crap with a computer and so,please bear with me!
STUFF REQUIRED
Drill press,engineers square,permanent marker,steel rule,wire brush approx 7/8 inch dia,jubilee clip,leccy tape,lubricant(machinists type,Rocal etc),item to be engine turned and lots of patience and a steady hand!

STEP 1
I first marked out a sheet of stainless with a grid of 1/2 inch squares using the marker pen ,square and rule.(see pic)

STEP 2
Bind the wire brush with leccy tape and firmly secure a jubilee clip arround it about 1/4 inch from end to stop it splaying out too much

STEP 3
Set drill speed at about 500 rpm.Generously lube the work piece and,from top left corner,using the grid as a guide,lower the brush into contact with the stainless.Apply gentle pressure in an up and down motion for about 10 secs but do not allow the brush to loose contact with the work piece.Take note of the reading on the drills depth gauge to ensure a consistent pattern. Once you've done the first "swirl",lift the brush from the work piece and move to the right and make a second,overlapping the first by 1/2.Carry on until the first row is completed.

STEP 4
Start the second row as above,over lapping the first row by 1/2.Then continue until work piece is completed.

TIPS
The above is just a guide,practice on scraps until you get your technique right.Do the job in stages,that way you can spot mistakes and correct them as you go,rather than have to start from scratch.If you're tired/pissed off,take a break,it's dead easy to screw up.Every now and then,clean the work piece and re-mark the grid if necessary.I used the lubricant undiluted as when diluted it goes everywhere and removes the grid lines.
The attached photos should help. Good luck,it will do your head in!

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
I found the problem Mark. The pics were 2MB each so just needed to be resized :tup:

All added into the top post anyway so feel free to move them around if you need to :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
i must say i love tech stuff i always think there,s to little of it in mags etc and they say pic,s say a 1000word,s more please

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hell that's neat work. I did the Shedster floors by eye with a normal hand-drill, wasn't even trying to be neat, and it still took forever. You're right, it does do your head in. Nice post, thank you. :)

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Brilliant, can't wait to give it a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I totally agree with stevie.t and thank all the 'guys' who not only have the skill patience and determination to make stuff, they also take the trouble to write it up for us. A thousand thankyous effendi!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts