Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So when fitting new gaskets do you fit them dry or smear a thin layer of sealant of your choice on the heads and cover first ?

I'm just fitting new gaskets to a Rover V8 and was going to use a little blue hylamar to seat the gasket in place, before fitting the cover.

Good idea or bad idea ?

Cheers Andy

·
Registered
340 Posts
So when fitting new gaskets do you fit them dry or smear a thin layer of sealant of your choice on the heads and cover first ?

I'm just fitting new gaskets to a Rover V8 and was going to use a little blue hylamar to seat the gasket in place, before fitting the cover.

Good idea or bad idea ?

Cheers Andy

Hello Andy :tup: GOOD idea to smear a small film of high heat silicone on both sides if gasket & load to CLEAN head.... load covers & LIGHTLY snug bolts... let sit overnight or for a few hrs.. then tighten bolt SNUGGLY
Run engine up to temp...... let cool & resnug....
Cheers! Dr.Dee

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I have, for the last 20 years evosticked my rocker cover and sump gaskets to covers or sump, this way they never fall off or bow out when fitting, light smear of Blue hylomar or grease will allow you to remove the covers and still be able to use them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts