Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
That web address looks more like a site where a gentleman may choose to relax in a special way, it's probably the saltyblog part.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
this is a rod site not a bike site blah blah blah
i,m here for the rods shedster i don,t get the whole bike thing.
somebody let me have a go on one once and it fell over when i stopped!
dont understand the atraction of machinery with such a basic design flaw?.
naa not for me...
go on then i,ll have a quick look

liking the silver triumph with the leg cut outs though.
thats inventive and nicely done.

the yellow norton liner is really sweet too.
cracking bit of machinery.

and as for the standard bicycle [penny farthing] with the bolt on motor
well
i love it but i dont want a go on it LOL.

thanks for posting the link shedster
PS are you the guy they call "odgie" and if so are you the odgie that had the pop in CUSTOM CAR?
the one with the ford V8 [302/289?]

Paul

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
this is a rod site not a bike site blah blah blah
i,m here for the rods shedster i don,t get the whole bike thing.
Paul
theres me thinking this site was for rods and sods??
i took that to mean for bikes/chops/classic/kustoms etc?

o and dragsters!!.... :finger:

yep just had another look round, all sorts of stuff on here and "ALL YEARS"..

lets all play together..:D

Sid.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
thats cleared that up then
its been bugging me since they featured your latest motor a while back.
still got the original CC feature tucked away in the spare room somwhere but it would take a bit of finding.
seem to recall them commenting on how the low mounted engine made it just dig in and go.
bit different to all the jacked up motors that prevailed at the time.
obviously struck a chord with me as i still remember the article now.
did they show a picture of the punk owner? and is it worth me digging it out for blackmail purposes LOL
Paul

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
theres me thinking this site was for rods and sods??
i took that to mean for bikes/chops/classic/kustoms etc?

o and dragsters!!.... :finger:

yep just had another look round, all sorts of stuff on here and "ALL YEARS"..

lets all play together..:D

Sid.
sorry BRIT DIGGER not having a pop at anyone
hoped the "blah blah blah" would show that my first line was very tongue in cheek.
bikes aint for me but i do marvel at some of the workmanship and inventiveness that goes into them.
and i did thank shedster for posting the link
as you say i hope we can all play nicely if we want a bun fight we know where to go!
Paul
PS bugger i think i,v said the wong thing again doh!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries, Paul, I sussed you were only playing (and just chill, Sid...:smoke:).

I guess most folks on here are sick of seeing this photo, but yep, back in 1976...

And best get the blackmail threat dealt with then while we're here...

:D:D:D

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
sorry BRIT DIGGER not having a pop at anyone
hoped the "blah blah blah" would show that my first line was very tongue in cheek.
bikes aint for me but i do marvel at some of the workmanship and inventiveness that goes into them.
and i did thank shedster for posting the link
as you say i hope we can all play nicely if we want a bun fight we know where to go!
Paul
PS bugger i think i,v said the wong thing again doh!
no big deal paul,i was only having a tickle myself.. we can all say the wrong thing sometimes believe "ME". :shake:.

XXX.

Sid.

and Odgie is a genius. and a really nice chap....:tup:

Sid.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Blackmail threat.

Odgie ive got a pic of you sat on a rock out in the middle of nowhere you might like to buy???..

call round the van at the weekend and we can discuss terms...:twisted:

chilled Sid...:smoke:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Found this old pic from Bonneville,thought you'd like it.Crazy bastard on bike;
(Looks like something took a chunk out of his leg!)

Attachments

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
That's just plain barmy.

A real definition of thinking outside the box.
I read somewhere about a bonneville car powered by rubber bands, was that real & does anybody know if it worked?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
That's just plain barmy.
The more i think about it
them things look awkward to ride on the road but what its like riding one over salt i dread to think
then theres the combination of a motor and fixed front pedals?
now add a petrol tank under your plums and yikes!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found this old pic from Bonneville,thought you'd like it.Crazy bastard on bike;
That'd be Rollie Free, as below (and can you imagine the consequences of skating down the salt in yer trunks at 150mph if it all went tits-up...?!!!)

On the morning of September 13, 1948, Free raised the American motorcycle speed record by riding the very first Vincent HRD (it is debated as to whether it was a Black Lightning or Black Shadow), owned by the California sportsman John Edgar and sponsored by Mobil Oil, to a speed of 150.313 mph (241.905 km/h). Special features included the first-ever Vincent use of a rear shock absorber, the first Mk II racing cams, and horizontally-mounted racing carbs. Free had already developed a style of removing the seat from his mount, and lying flat prone along the back spine - thereby minimizing wind resistance, and placing most weight over the rear wheel.

To protect himself and allow comfort when in such a position, Free had developed special protective clothing. However, when his leathers tore from early runs at 147 mph (237 km/h), he discarded them and made a final attempt without jacket, pants, gloves, boots or helmet. Free lay flat on the motorcycle wearing only a Speedo bathing suit, a shower cap, and a pair of borrowed sneakers - inspired by friend Ed Kretz. This resulted not only in the record, but also one of the most famous photographs in motorcycling history, the "bathing suit bike" shot taken from a speeding car alongside his run on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

·
Registered
732 Posts
That'd be Rollie Free, as below (and can you imagine the consequences of skating down the salt in yer trunks at 150mph if it all went tits-up...?!!!)

On the morning of September 13, 1948, Free raised the American motorcycle speed record by riding the very first Vincent HRD (it is debated as to whether it was a Black Lightning or Black Shadow), owned by the California sportsman John Edgar and sponsored by Mobil Oil, to a speed of 150.313 mph (241.905 km/h). Special features included the first-ever Vincent use of a rear shock absorber, the first Mk II racing cams, and horizontally-mounted racing carbs. Free had already developed a style of removing the seat from his mount, and lying flat prone along the back spine - thereby minimizing wind resistance, and placing most weight over the rear wheel.

To protect himself and allow comfort when in such a position, Free had developed special protective clothing. However, when his leathers tore from early runs at 147 mph (237 km/h), he discarded them and made a final attempt without jacket, pants, gloves, boots or helmet. Free lay flat on the motorcycle wearing only a Speedo bathing suit, a shower cap, and a pair of borrowed sneakers - inspired by friend Ed Kretz. This resulted not only in the record, but also one of the most famous photographs in motorcycling history, the "bathing suit bike" shot taken from a speeding car alongside his run on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.
Thanks for that.First saw that photo a couple of days ago.Nice to know a bit about it.
Any idea about that chunk out of his leg?Fault in the photo?

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Just spent a happy hour on this Thread, thanks Shedster.
Rog.

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
Er, yep to the last bit.......
and are you the odge that came down to york street with an identical galaxy I think and I mean identical same reg etc... and all those tasty girls in tow:tup:

Jon

1 - 20 of 24 Posts