Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As title, thanks to all you so called Rodders, Car Enthusiasts, call yourselves what you want,who complained, slagged off abused SSR but because of you Wheels Day is no more. What a bunch of small minded idiots we have in our small community. SSR did a fantastic job and could not have forseen the number of people who would attend.
Have none of you queued to get in or out of Santa Pod or other big show, yes you have so get a life and dont blame SSR, I hope they do not cancel Wheelsday, not just for my benefit but also all the Charities who now stand to lose out.

·
Administrator
10,032 Posts
I think you will find that they are not going to carry it on in it's present form.
I believe it will continue but (I assume) on a smaller scale.

I think people have a right to bemoan the problems encountered this time - but the personal threats and private messages/emails to the SSR crew, not to mention the false accusations raised against them about the finances are totally out of order and the people involved should be downright ashamed of themselves.

·
Registered
436 Posts
2014 Wheels Day - VeeDubRacing Walkabout - YouTube

This video has been posted before along with others......but just take time to view it again....where else do you see such a mix of machinery?......nowhere I know of and that's what made Wheels Day fun....and now it looks like the video will be the only place to see it...what a bunch of f**k wits.
I was a Surrey Street Rodder for 10 years before I moved to NZ so understand the amount of time and effort the guys have put in and that they will be totally gutted by what happened and the subsequent backlash.....I hope that those who have made unfounded accusations will man up and apologise in the not to distant future

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
I do think they received a lot of unfair comments. But also think it's unfair to those guys that drove for 4 hours to get there only to be told that the show was full.
So yes they got a lot of comments for decisions that where out of Thier hands. But who should take the heat for all those that spent hundreds of fuel and 10 or so hrs of Thier bank holiday traveling
No one has said the show will no longer go ahead just that it won't be the same as this years show

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do think they received a lot of unfair comments. But also think it's unfair to those guys that drove for 4 hours to get there only to be told that the show was full.
So yes they got a lot of comments for decisions that where out of Thier hands. But who should take the heat for all those that spent hundreds of fuel and 10 or so hrs of Thier bank holiday traveling
No one has said the show will no longer go ahead just that it won't be the same as this years show
So SSR have to be Clairvoyants now, how the hell were they supposed to know that so many people would turn up, I have been to shows were I have not been able to get in with my car and had to park on a road 100 yards away, did I blame the organisers NO I DID NOT, but that is what has happened here. I can also recall a few years ago when Aldershot town was gridlocked and it took me nearly 1.5 hours to get into the arena, did I complain about the queues NO
I Hope they do continue to put some sort of show on, I have always enjoyed thsi day as the first day of the Rodding season, but even if it is a much smaller show then the charities will still miss out.
Why are people defending the word of a minority

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
As title, thanks to all you so called Rodders, Car Enthusiasts, call yourselves what you want,who complained, slagged off abused SSR but because of you Wheels Day is no more. What a bunch of small minded idiots we have in our small community. SSR did a fantastic job and could not have forseen the number of people who would attend.
Have none of you queued to get in or out of Santa Pod or other big show, yes you have so get a life and dont blame SSR, I hope they do not cancel Wheelsday, not just for my benefit but also all the Charities who now stand to lose out.
Lots of moaning on here and was aimed at the right people.they put on the show.they also said there would be no issues with getting in ,parking in the right places etc.after

All according to them they had six entry lanes.

No one else put on the show.that place was certainly big enough to accomodate every elligible car away from the public cars but it didnt happen.

Not seen any abuse towards them on this site so why mention it here.

If the show doesn't happon next years theres plenty of others on

.this year has proved their incompetance at putting on something so large.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can uderstand your frustration - just like mine frustration of siting in trafficfor hour just to b turned away , I agree with Darren's comment - but arnt you falling in to the same mold as the people who rang and emailed members of the SSR with swearing and abuse -which I don't agree with in any shape or form -just the title of your thread alone is probably along the lines of what thay got, which I presume you wouldn't support yourself...

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont blame SSR

Lots of moaning on here and was aimed at the right people.they put on the show.they also said there would be no issues with getting in ,parking in the right places etc.after

All according to them they had six entry lanes.

No one else put on the show.that place was certainly big enough to accomodate every elligible car away from the public cars but it didnt happen. Get real will you, Dunsfold would have had a say in how many cars would be allowed on site, so when that number was reached they would have said no more, like I said I have been turned away froma show feild at a much smaller show because they were full

Not seen any abuse towards them on this site so why mention it here. Because it has been implied here and saying that people cannot and should not run a show is a form of abuse, it does not have to be a verbal threat to be abuse

If the show doesn't happon next years theres plenty of others on Well theres thanks for you, 40 years they have been doing this show and because of problems beyond their control, your happy to see this show fold

.this year has proved their incompetance at putting on something so large.
Get real and learn to read, THEY WERE NOT EXPECTING 18000 PEOPLE

It is people like you that have influenced the SSR to make the decision they have

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
31ModelA - had the same thoughts as you initially but decided not to post until I'd read up a bit and calmed down a bit... who knows, from the ashes something even greater may rise! Wheels Day as was, was always my favourite show of the year due to the sheer variety of stuff on display, but if it's gone, then time to move on. What I do hope is that all those involved with it over the years take away more than the memories of the problems and abuse from this year - I hope they take away the memories of a fantastic show that survived four decades and brought a lot of fun/enjoyment/great times to a huge number of like minded folk...

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can uderstand your frustration - just like mine frustration of siting in trafficfor hour just to b turned away , I agree with Darren's comment - but arnt you falling in to the same mold as the people who rang and emailed members of the SSR with swearing and abuse -which I don't agree with in any shape or form -just the title of your thread alone is probably along the lines of what thay got, which I presume you wouldn't support yourself...
Point taken about title, so have changed that.
I do not have a problem with SSR or the show, I am merely supporting them and letting them know that a very small minority think it is ok to verbally abuse them, I hope the show does not dissappear from the calender, I left at 7pm to get their, so no I didn't have a problem getting in, but I understand the frustration people may have about queues or not getting in, but to direct this at the SSR crew is just unreal for the reasons that I have stated in other posts

·
richard rawlplug
8,161 Posts
Your damned if you do..damned if you don't. .
I have only done wheels day twice enjoyed it both times...

there's always going to be people's complaints..
when all the shows have gone to the wall what happens next..?

If you don't want to queue for a while go early..I did twice..20 mins queuing..not bad considering we did it from the Midlands. .

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Get real and learn to read, THEY WERE NOT EXPECTING 18000 PEOPLE

It is people like you that have influenced the SSR to make the decision they have
People like me.its only my opinion.if they were able to spam this forum regarding their event telling us there would be no issues due to six lane entry bla de bla,then surely we are entitled to our say.

Its hardly threatening isnt it.

I have to ask if you are naturaly stupid or do you try at it.

See youve now edited youre original post/title that was abusive towards everyone one who voiced a negative opinion to wheels day.

That puts you in the same pond scum league as those who were making threats towards the ssr.

·
Administrator
10,032 Posts
this year has proved their incompetance at putting on something so large.
A bit unfair Wayne, they though the bigger venue would attract about 6,000 people (previous wheels day record attendance was approx 4,000) so when 18,000 turn up its beyond anyone's control on the day.

I think it's grown into a bit of a monster for them, the reasons for quitting in the current form are not right (abusive phone calls etc) but it will probably make everyone happier if the show shrinks down. It will be easier to get in, less traffic for councils and most importantly, easier for only something like 15 people to organise a show for (this year) 18,000 people!

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
So SSR have to be Clairvoyants now, how the hell were they supposed to know that so many people would turn up, I have been to shows were I have not been able to get in with my car and had to park on a road 100 yards away, did I blame the organisers NO I DID NOT, but that is what has happened here. I can also recall a few years ago when Aldershot town was gridlocked and it took me nearly 1.5 hours to get into the arena, did I complain about the queues NO
I Hope they do continue to put some sort of show on, I have always enjoyed thsi day as the first day of the Rodding season, but even if it is a much smaller show then the charities will still miss out.
Why are people defending the word of a minority
Yeah so you qued at a show for 90 mins. But you still got in didn't you

So who is to blame then

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah so you qued at a show for 90 mins. But you still got in didn't you

So who is to blame then
Don't just pick the bits out of my comments that you want too, to try and justify peoples abuse at SSR, I also said I have been to shows and queued to get in only to find there was no room so have had to park elsewhere.
So basically what you are saying is it is SSR fault for not knowing 18000 people were going to turn up, so you blame them, get real

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Don't just pick the bits out of my comments that you want too, to try and justify peoples abuse at SSR, I also said I have been to shows and queued to get in only to find there was no room so have had to park elsewhere.
So basically what you are saying is it is SSR fault for not knowing 18000 people were going to turn up, so you blame them, get real
But you replied and quoted my initial comment
As for picking at bits. How did you come up with that
My only complaint was that people who traveled for a long time where turned away
No it was not their fault how many turned up. But it was how they dealt with the traffic coming in
It has allways been a very well attended event and with the promise Tarmac and multiple entrances. What do you think was going to happen

As trying to justify abuse. There is never a way to justify abuse and I have never abused anyone

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
They stopped charging at one point simply to try to get the traffic moving and the queues down. However, as I keep ,saying full is FULL.

There was NEVER going to be an outcome to please everyone. Even if everyone had got in there would still have been the moans about what was on the showfield that should have been in the carpark and vice versa.

All amounts of catering toilets etc were based on a projected 50% increase in volume over the last event, up from 4000 to 6000. The increase was 350% ( 18,000)!!

You have an event with space for 6000 cars and then 18000 turn up, how would 'YOU' deal with that problem? The answer to that gives positive 'negative' feedback , saying they got it wrong doesn't help anyone.

The fact that SSR, and Dunsfold, were unable to cope is obvious . But WHY are they to blame ? Surely using that logic the 12,000 extra that turned up are to blame because they've never come before??

1 - 20 of 50 Posts