Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm waiting on a series of hospital ops /appointments and one is to have some teeth pulled. My own dentist won't do any extractions due to high risk of infection. I saw the dental consultant who said 10 weeks for procedure on his list, OK, fine, only had one lot of antobiotics by that stage .Turned out his waiting list was actually 18 weeks :(.

So over the next 6 weeks I keep getting abcesses requiring my dentist to give me antibiotics , which they don't like to do due to my health history and actually refused to give me any more as it wasn't n my best interests.

I'll cut out the rest of the story but basically HUGE abcesses , large amount of pain ( and I can suck it up normally) meant I had to speak to the dental unit ,well after 1 1/2 DAYS SOLID trying to get through I lost it!

Mailed the hospital via its website telling them what a shambles it all was. Then had to speak with the renal unit who, as always , were excellent who had me in all this morning to check me over, took me off the antibiotics cos they were wrong and damaging my transplant (!!!) . They also have leaned on the dental consultant to sort me out ,not in a queue jumping way but medical priority.

Just got home to find that my snotty email also got them jumping with amail from a Head of operations and that from an outstanding 10 weeks ( of an 18 week wait ) I can now be dealt with on a choice of two appointments next week.:shake:

Once again it pays to push and not sit back and accept excuses or be fobbed of by receptionists for who it is all simply too much trouble.

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Interesting as i'm just about to sign up for a shed load of work and need 2 teeth pulling. Just have to find a local place that excepts NHS.

Dan:tup:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dentist was complaining about the hospital Dentistry department when we last spoke, they had referred a patient with Haemaphilia ( sp ? ) to them for an extraction and the unit refused saying that the dentist should be able to deal with it ?!!!
I wonder who made THAT decision, a consultant or a receptionist who didn't have that 'disease' on her acceptable illnesses referal list ?

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
some of these staff are a waste of space. As I mentioned before, its too bad that you have to get to the point of loosing it to get something done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts