Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we were down in Newquay at the SCC run I ended up with my debit card being refused after I'd just filled my tank up. Luckily had cash to get me off there and went to a hole in the wall to find out what had happened.

Anyway ,massively overdrawn as I wrote a cheque for my Dads care home fees ( just on £3000 for 1 month!! but that's a whole other post ) on my account not his. So hands up... totally my own fault .

I then spent 3 hours on the phone trying to get the 'helpful' bank to actually help me . They had absolutely no idea I had any other cards or cash with me and to the best of their knowledge I was skint and 240 miles from home.

I won't bore you with the details but I ended up without access to any money for over 8 days even though I put in a cheque to cover the care home fees.

For all of this I also had the pleasure of being charged £45 .

I complained ,which also took to long for them to deal with ,told them how bad they were , the situation they left me in etc etc .

I also had the pleasure of telling them what con artists the entire banking system was ( not that the poor bloke I was talking to had any control over that ) and how this whole 4 days for cheques to clear was a farce in this computer day and age and used to extort money from people.

I got my fees refunded, my phone bill paid and £50 compensation out of them when they spoke to me yesterday to deal with it. So its always worth complaing and not being fobbed off.:tup:

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
i reckon someone told em bout how many good mates you had,, eh kev,:tup::pmsl:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
banks. biggest organised crime in the world. :finger:

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
If you think that's bad ,the woman I look after her nurse and herself had there cards locked on a boat on the Nile as the security computer flagged them,no phone bank would talk to me to get them unlocked.Had to send money to them direct,all the bank says is sorry,also had mine locked in spain,this type of thing has come up on watchdog ,always take cash now.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Well done Kev !

Not so much a banking story but still concerning money....
Filled the tank up last Sat' at Tescos. Being more then a bit broke right now, wife went to put it on her credit card, only to be told that they dont take credit cards anymore........say WHAT ??
My wife said she didnt have any cash and the tank is filled so, (in a louder voice) you BETTER FIND a way to take a credit card. After 10mins holding up the line, they made some calls and got it done.
How crazy is this, what if you were a tourist from another county and only had a credit card to use on your holiday ?

Sad to say that you have to raise your voice when comes to YOUR money !!

And I'm sure there a million other stories to be told when it comes to banking and such.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A small tip. After having my creditcard/bank card blocked last year in the USA; "it was an odd transaction from an odd place" according to the bloke I spoke to. Vegas is odd, but stopping the purchase of an "odd" pair of Levi's......? Anyway, this year I went online (HSBC) where you can tell them that you're going out of the country and where, so when a card transaction comes in from X, it doesn't get blocked (or shouldn't). Worked fine on this year's Vegas/LA trip. If I get burgled, HSBC will be prime suspects.

Banks are still a bunch of crooks though ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts