Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you with a penchant for the best band outa canvey island this friday at 9 pm bbc4 are showing "oil city confidential".the story of doctor feelgood.i saw this in febuary at bristol on the opening night along with a wilko johnson concert beamed live from london,and its a great film.happy,sad,moving and with a crackin soundtrack its 1 not to be missed.after there showing a concert from 1977 with the feelgoods plus ian dury and the blockheads.i have the fridge stocked with the finest cider and the freezers jammed with pizza all ready for a great night in!!!
kookie:D

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
for those of you with a penchant for the best band outa canvey island this friday at 9 pm bbc4 are showing "oil city confidential".the story of doctor feelgood.i saw this in febuary at bristol on the opening night along with a wilko johnson concert beamed live from london,and its a great film.happy,sad,moving and with a crackin soundtrack its 1 not to be missed.after there showing a concert from 1977 with the feelgoods plus ian dury and the blockheads.i have the fridge stocked with the finest cider and the freezers jammed with pizza all ready for a great night in!!!
kookie:D
Got the V+ set to record it :happy:

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Saw them at Kent custom (is that still going?) in the early eighties.

·
Slacker journo
143 Posts
Saw them at Kent custom (is that still going?) in the early eighties.
That was an HA organised show and it became the Bulldog Bash also organised by the HA.

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Excellent, thanks for that.

I'm home alone Friday night so I've Sky plussed it ready.

Saw them with Eddie & the Hot Rods, The Hamsters & John Otway. Excellent gig.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
British R+B (the REAL DEAL not that crap they pass off nowadays), at its best!............I can't wait.:smoke:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the tip off Kookie . I saw them twice at Brum. Town hall with the original line up. To me they were,nt quite as good after Wilko left,and Brileaux was irreplaceable. Ill definatley be watching Friday. Kustoms & R n B what could be better? _Rupe:tup:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'm well familiar with the Canvey Island musicians,I know plenty of them. I played/jammed with DF way back in 1973/4 Wilco/Lee they were doing that idie punk thing 5 years before anybody! Lee in his 1963 cut Italian suit,very cutting edge for back then. Great band!! Miss you Lee.

If you want to see Canveys finest blues Harp player,if not the finest in Europe go and see Wes Weston and the Bluesonics.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Damn, only gonna be able to watch the first hour of this as 'True Blood' is on at 10pm....and we dont have Sky+ :(

Saw them at The Queensway Hall, Dunstable in the mid 70's.

Off topic (a bit), look out for the movie 'Sex, drugs, and rock n roll' (story of Ian Dury), its really good. May have done the rounds by now so should be on DVD soon I would think. I cant remember the name of the actor who plays him, but he does a great job !!!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Will record it Friday. See them sometimes in Keith Haveys speed shop Americar. Must have ben buying bits i guess. In the 70s. Another good program was Southend Rock an hour long show about Canvey blues.Made about 1991ish on tv. :tup::tup:

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I'll have to watch that, ......i saw them about 5 years ago when they were the headline act at the Silloth beer festival, they rocked the whole town !!
......and a 10 minute guitar solo that was pure, musical masturbation......FANTASTIC !!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
what a great film.can someone tell me what the old film was that they used clips from.one of the films was the stanley baker film 'Robbery' but the one with the mk 2 zodiac and the Thames Trader lorry ramming the security van escapes me ,anyone know the film?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
glad you all enjoyed it.jack if you saw oil city then you saw the film!!.tho that might have been the stiff records 1.and if you loved it the dvds out on june 14th with bonus extras!!being a mere slip of a boy(36!) i never saw them live but grew up in a house filled with feelgood,tom petty and george thorogood and the destroyers.
kookie:smoke:

·
Registered
393 Posts
What year would that be.and what type of tv.have you got.:incheek:.cause i cant find it on my set.was looking foward to watching that....

·
Old enough to know better
3,479 Posts
Unbelievably, I saw John Martin aka The Big Figure, the original drummer of Dr F, playing in a Shadows tribute band, in an aubege, in the middle of rural France last night ...!!!!! :shock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts