Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont know anything about dragracing, never even been to one. but was suprized to now they dont use radiators! thought they would be cooked before you got out the pits!

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I have often thought the same thing. I would guess it is because it only needs to get down the 1/4 mile. It might be also reason they don't sit the car with the engine running, and push the cars around when they can. But hey, I know nothing about this sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
First of all , get yourself to a race , you dont know what youa are missing :tup:

A lot of the cars you have noticed will have solid blocks and heads(no water ) , this makes them stronger and helps prevent movement in the motor itself. In my own car with about 2000hp we have experienced the block "moving".
The motor will have the oil warm before we even start the engine , we use a sump / pan heater and get the oil to about 150f . Then we warm the motor up to about 180f before we tow down the pairing lanes. It has cooled to about 165f by now.
After the burnout we are up to 180f again and 220f after the run. We are on WOT for about 6 seconds so dont really need water.
WARM OIL is the sensible thing with any motor.

Have a look at www.luckydevil777dragracing.com for a bit more info , better still come to a race and see for yourself , I would be pleased to show you what we do :cool:

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
dont know anything about dragracing, never even been to one. but was suprized to now they dont use radiators! thought they would be cooked before you got out the pits!
get a few mates with nice motors /bikes , take a cruise to the track and park up, get a tea and burger ,go and look at some cool cars , go to the stands and watch the racing , all drive home , you cant beat it

·
Registered
850 Posts
Is'nt there some block cement type stuff that help hold the bottem end with the heads still water cooled?
Yeah it's called a half fill, you only fill to the water pump inlets so it still supports the lower half of the block where the movement typically is.

Lucky, what fuel are you using as I always thought you had to use alcohol to do the no rad thing?

Gotzy

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
I agree with Vin.

Then, the 2nd time you go (because there will be a 2nd time) take your licence and have a go at a Run Wot Ya Brung !!

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,645 Posts
Yeah it's called a half fill, you only fill to the water pump inlets so it still supports the lower half of the block where the movement typically is.

Gotzy
i was storing a car for a mate some years back that a 511 b/block with block filler,
it had water only in the cooling system so when winter came there was no option to drain the block due to having the block filler, so had to add a few pints of anti-freeze and bring the motor up to operating temp to fully circulate,
either that or turn the car upside down to drain the water out:shake::D

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all , get yourself to a race , you dont know what youa are missing :tup:

A lot of the cars you have noticed will have solid blocks and heads(no water ) , this makes them stronger and helps prevent movement in the motor itself. In my own car with about 2000hp we have experienced the block "moving".
The motor will have the oil warm before we even start the engine , we use a sump / pan heater and get the oil to about 150f . Then we warm the motor up to about 180f before we tow down the pairing lanes. It has cooled to about 165f by now.
After the burnout we are up to 180f again and 220f after the run. We are on WOT for about 6 seconds so dont really need water.
WARM OIL is the sensible thing with any motor.

Have a look at www.luckydevil777dragracing.com for a bit more info , better still come to a race and see for yourself , I would be pleased to show you what we do :cool:
thanks for the heads up, i imagin'd putting out that kind of power and heat the engine would'nt last that long at full throttle!
thanks also for the offer, imay do just that next season :tup:

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to be honest (this is going to start something) watching it on the box! i find it quite BORING!!! having said that, ive been involved with other forms of motor sport where ive felt the same as a spectator! but when you are involved in the event or know someone thats competing it changes things abit, also on the box you dont get the noise, smell, feel or sence of speed you do at a trackside more so when your directly involved in a team

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
look no radiator...or is there???

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
Well , I know you have a water pump Liam :smoke:
yes,cheers for selling me that pump...my central heatings loads better now..:D

no seriously,its a nice piece.just what we needed.:tup:

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
to be honest (this is going to start something) watching it on the box! i find it quite BORING!!! on the box you dont get the noise, smell, feel or sence of speed you do at a trackside more so when your directly involved in a team
You just HAVE TO 'experience' two top fuellers side by side, 16,000 horsepower. I agree, its a bit boring on telly... its not when you are there. I havnt been since i was a kid but got to the Flame & Thunder meet at the Pod a couple of weeks ago and now i want to go back next year (in fact im quite interested in getting involved when the kids have left home and finances allow). It rained in the morning and it took them until early afternoon to dry the track. We were stood just before the finish line. Before they started my youngest asked me 'why have lots of people got headphones on'?.. i said 'you will find out in a minute'. The first car out (single lane run) hit problems about 1/4 of the way up the track and cruised past us at 60mph, the kids said is that it? The second car was a top fueller who also hit grip problems at 1/4 track and backed off, here we go again thinks i another 60mph pass. By half track she had got it back in shape and nailed it again passing us at 280mph... you should have seen the look on the kids faces, you dont so much hear it as feel it go right through you :D awesome! (yes i did use the 'a' word, and it was). Im going to go see some proper side by side top level racing next year.

·
Wild Willie Fadster
1,719 Posts
Petrol runs quite a high temperature and methanol / alcohol runs much lower, hence the reason why the engines running on meth / alky don't heat up as quick. My little hemi has unfilled block and heads and has top up ports that lead into the heads / block. The steam and expanded water are fed into an expansion tube down into one of the header pipes.

Back way back when, it was simply a question of weight. When I did my radiator in on the T at the Mopars, I did one run without a rad or water, running on unleaded and had no problems. Like you say, you don't start the engine til its time to run. End of the run, the block temperature was 220 degrees, which is ok.

You can run an alcohol engine much longer without water because of the low burning temperature but if you watch Sids film thread, you can hear it explained that many racers used to hold out of stage to try to make the other racer blow up through high temps..........eee, they were reet nasty back in't day !!

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
you can hear it explained that many racers used to hold out of stage to try to make the other racer blow up through high temps..........eee, they were reet nasty back in't day !!
they still are.....................:twisted:

Sid.

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
they still are.....................:twisted:

Sid.
thats why i got an alky big block,waynes spare pump,and a radiator....cos you fukkarzzz (in the words of dave e) dunna play fair....:pmsl:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts