Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
61 - 80 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Had a run out today at Shakey before the rain came down. Best of 12.26/108 with 1.79 60ft. Not where I want to be but shows promise. Launch felt much better with 15psi in the tyres. The rooster tail seems to slow the car at the top end so will get modified/binned.:shake:

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Progress then Steve - Interesting point about the "Rooster tail", I always felt my Sprite felt a bit "Floaty" at the top end when running without the windscreen but the reduction in frontal area and improved top speed made me live with it!:D

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Yes the car feels much more planted now. Partly the body additions, but 15 rather than 8 psi in the tyres helps!
Robert the PB was set 2 years ago at Shakey, 12.09/112 with 1.76 60ft. I seem to remember there was half a gale blowing down the track as well:roll:
Anyway the car is marooned in the garage for the next 2 weeks whilst the driveway is relaid so more body tweaks will hopefully appear by its next outing at the Nostalgia Nationals.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think I'd drop the rear wing / tea tray down a bit so it's more horizontal. The one on my Beetle was virtually flat but had big side plates to keep the air moving in the right direction. Kept the trailer steady at 85mph, according to my dad...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
OK so went to Shakey today and finally nailed it with an 11.8 sec pass 116 mph terminal.:D 60ft was 1.78. just like to thank everyone on here who has offered advice, see you can teach an old dog new tricks :shake:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Alan, the next tweak is to put a consistent clutch release system in, more later.
Robert, No more power, I think the latest mods reduce drag, and I felt really on it today, better shifts. I ran an 11.9 later on, but only 110 terminal, 1.76 60ft

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Bit of a downer, went to Shakey on Sunday and made a couple of reasonable passes, but on slowdown after the second one I was stuck in 4th gear. Disconnected the propshaft and towed it home,engine now out and heading for the gearbox doctor, It's a type 9 SCCR of unknown origin, been in the car about 7 years,must have done 200 passes. :sniff::shake:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·

Ready for a new season. Rebuilt gearbox, Nitrous bottle heater system ,new stiffer front springs and a tidy up of the cockpit. Hopefully first run out at the Pod on March 25th.:D

61 - 80 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.