Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, probaly been asked loads of times before but if i was to start drag racing a car were do i start? and how would i get someone to teach me the correct kind of launch control and gearing e.c.t?

I dont really have anyone around my area that goes drag racing that i could pester,lol.

I would love to go with someone as a spanner monkey when they next drag/race so i can get a feel for what is needed.

I live in north cornwall....If anyone would allow me to join them on a couple of trips id be ever so gratefull.

Jason

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
The best way to start out is to go to the track and spend a day watching, watch particularly how the cars stage (ie slowly roll forwards to light each of the staging lights on the tree before the race can begin). Be aware of how the race functions (ie pairing lanes, marshals, burnout box, staging, christmas tree, finish line and return roads) before you actually go out there and have a go.

Racers tend to be a friendly bunch so asking questions will never be a problem, friendly help is usually very forthcoming.

Feel free to swing by the NSCC camp at any of the race meetings and you'll find them a helpful bunch, remember we ALL started somewhere and nobody comes out a "born racer", it's all down to practice and experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys, i was thinking of dragging my pontiac firebird but tempted to just get somthing cheap to start off with and practice with first. there is a drag strip in taunton at dakota....i know its not as good as santa pod but its alot dam closer.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Feel free to swing by the NSCC camp at any of the race meetings and you'll find them a helpful bunch, remember we ALL started somewhere and nobody comes out a "born racer", it's all down to practice and experience.
Thats not strictly true Shaun, your forgeting 'DYNO DES TAYLOR' Truly a born Racer! ;)
As everyone as said, Don't be afraid to ask questions, & don't be afraid just to have a go!
Once you've tried it........ Thats when the trouble starts!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You can get help with your addiction on here after you have had your first go ;p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are there any kind of schools that can teach me the basics?? I was looking at getting either a Nissan almera GTi or Mazda Mx5 to start with

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Jaffa, XR8 doesn't live a million miles from you...and he had a Pontiac before he went to the dark side. Just get out and try it. Seriously, you need no training other than to get out there and try it. You'll be nevrous as f*** on th first run an feel like you can take on the world at the end of it.:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds brill guys...i could drag the pontiac then ill give it ago when there is a next event on in taunton :).....thanmks to everyone for the advice

·
Registered
83 Posts
You just missed it on Sat. a couple of us went up from Redruth and had a good laugh......£20.00 for the day.
Dakota is a good start (and not too imtimidating for a 1st. timer , like I was on Sat.)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Whooohaaaa hhaaaa WELCOMBE TO THE DARKER SIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome, but you may have been better trying heroin or other hard drugs, as they are known to be less addictive, and there is help available to get you off them.............:incheek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts