Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couple of quick Q's

Whats the deal? legislation etc of driving stateside if its not a hire car/ like if its yours? say you buy a car out there and want to drive it about befor having it shipped back to uk?
Anyone got any info?

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
Unless it's changed since we bought the Stude, you will need to insure and register it in your name but you will need a US address to do it and the local Holiday Inn won't cut it. I must stress this was Pennsylvania eighteen years ago though.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I wouldnt drive it too far.If you do get pulled by the police they ask to see drivers liscence and registration.It will be registered to the previous owner who would have signed off the pink slip to you with the date of sale. I would buy the car and drive it straight to the shipper or better have it trailered. Dont run the risk of an accident or getting it stolen. My mate is a CHP officer and he said 'trailer it to the docks' ,the car can be impounded without insurance and as of 2006 the new law says that registation is VOID without insurance which means instant impounding of the car. Play it safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts