Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's cold here but no snow, thought I'd do some work in the house instead of playing with the cars. Tools are all down in the garage but I can't get to it as I simply can't walk up the sheet of ice that is now my driveway :shock:

I just saw on the news about the coach crash down Hayle, you all take it real easy out there .

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Yea,Kev,wise words,i know what you mean,im just setting off for Lincoln with the trailor on the back,to deliver a custermers car and collect the Camaro on the way back,oh and drop aload of engine bits off for Henry..........Sheesh id better get going !

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
Kev the main roads around here are all fine. The back roads are a different story. I live on a small service road and it's been somewhat amusing watching people come along it at 30mph(Which is way too fast at the best of times) touching the brakes for the 90 degree at the end...and plowing straight on or into something coming the other way. Why do so many people not read road surfaces or even be prepared for the worst. At one point over the weekend the police closed it to through traffic but there's still no grit down.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to drive for a living for 10 years , about 400,000 miles in that time Bry . Still normally clock up 15k a year in my dailies .You learn a few tricks and not to take stuff for granted ...safe journey:tup:

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
People nowadays are lulled into a false sense of security, with all the safety measures built into modern cars. As such they have forgotten how to drive, and how to 'read' the road.
How often do you see them in this kind of weather, half the windscreen cleared, tootling along safe in the knowledge that the airbags and ABS and traction control will save them, in the event of an accident? There is no way I would go out in any vehicle without having all the windows defrosted. I would rather be ten minutes late, than not get there at all.

My drving has changed since getting The Old Nacker on the road. As an underbraked, underpowered vehicle, I learned quickly to slow down for lights, in the hope that they changed. I look a good way up the road, leaving plenty room between me and car in front, in case he stops, I can. Even looking for pottholes before I hit them.
All parts of motoring experience with older cars, and I am more in touch with the road.

Happy safe motoring!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Totally agree Sid, see the other post re technology I put up before I read your reply !

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
It's stupidly icy in our road! I nearly went over trying to walk to the car, and the road is pure ice. Someone has just walked down the road throwing rock salt around, a little on teh late side really.

There is a car abandoned at 90degrees across the road further up the hill.
A mini made a running attempt to get up the slope, but bottled out when starting to approach other parked cars.

AS for me, off to have some toast and a cup of tea.
The M27 seems very slow with earlier accidents so the chances of getting to work are limited at present.

Lets wait for the sun to come out and thaw everything :shake:

·
Freak!
458 Posts
I need to go out to deliver Christmas presents,but im gonna wait for the missus to get back from shopping,dont fancy some 'out of control moron' smashing into my Anglia and i dont think the Minor would get far,it spins the wheels easy enough in the rain let alone snow/ice!

Our road has been real icey,got a set of traffic lights at the exit which is near on impossible to get away from and our bedroom window faces a 90 degree bend which makes for some fun veiwing at times,especially as there are 2 dumped cars on it!

We had a VW spin right outside the front door yesterday,totally sideways,the owner/passengers thought it hilarious and we followed a women into the local Asda car park where she totally mounted the pavement,we just drove by.

Im more nervous now of others crashing into me than ever before,ALOT of people have no fucking idea what so ever.

Be safe everybody.
Merry Christmas ;)

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
I've stuck to walking recently and I've seen a few skids and near misses on the road. Thankfully not witnessed any acutal crashes. Also see many people who don't clear their windows properly. Just put the wipers on and leave the sides covered in snow & the lights and indicators too.
I live up a steep hill with speed bumps which makes things worse as drivers have to keep changing speed which then makes them loose traction and causes knock on effects all the way down the road.

Take it easy out there.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan, M27 is closed Junctions 1-4 ...enjoy the toast ! I've just been out to drop Marian off, most pedestrians are walking in the road as it's less slippy than the pavements.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
I popped up to bigbros the other dayand was peeing myself at the idiots driving down the hill :incheek:

Where my bro lives is a fire station and the only part of the road with grit on was the path way leading upto the doors ......i hope they dont get a call out coz they must weigh 8t and dont think they would be able to stop too well :shake:

on the way home i became 1 of those idiots on that hill it took me longer to drive home than it does to walk it :eek:

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
Our lane is completely covered in sheet ice and will probably continue to be so until it either rains or the temperature goes up by several degrees.

It is really quite lethal, but has provided a new game for the children.

'Guess who is going in the ditch!' (tm) is a fun game for all the family from 3-Adult.

The basic rules are as follows;

Each player must pick their vehicle as it passes between the two oak trees

Once passed the second Oak tree the vehicle is in play until it rounds the 90 degree bend .

If it successfully gets to the 3rd Oak tree then the player looses 10 points.

If it fails to negotiate the 90 degree bend the player whos vehicle it is must shout out 'Look who's in the Ditch, Bitch!

This player is then awarded 20 points.

The winner is the player with the most points after the road has thawed out...

It amazes me that people think that the laws of Physics do not apply to their 3 ton 4 wheel drive panzer wagon....

Oh by the way my current score is 230.....

P.

·
scavengers cc
2,838 Posts
i ran the gauntlet from dover to saltash in cornwall,so the wife could see her parents,had the odd arsehole up my arse,stil got down safely,i suppose having to drive in all conditions when i was in the army helped.

probably the main problem with others is they clarkson driving like a loon on an airfield in the wet with nothing to crash into saying the car is brilliant,but we all know its not the car but the arse driving it.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS

Jack

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Car veered into my lane yesterday at 70...honked....as I went by she was still texting !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts