Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at possibly tubbing the wifes Mustang & fitting a 4bar setup with coilovers.

Does it ruin the drive quality for street use ? Are they still useable on the road or is it rattly as hell and only going to end up in spinal injuries ?

The bars are currently fitted with rose joint rod ends but I suppose I could always make up some bushed bars to replace them.

What are your views and anything from those that run tubbed cars ? The tyres are the 29 x 18's I've got for my bug project.

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
Si,

My 56 is sort of tubbed, running 29x15.5x 15 with 4 bar and watts linkage, all rose jointed and suspended on AVO coil overs.

Car rides fine, hooks up nice and straight and, even though I was told not to run rose joints on the street I would not hesitate to recommend them.

My only observation is that with a big tyre car it does make it feel like a 'big car'. You are always aware of the tyres as it make the car drive 'different' especially when you pull out to overtake someone. Dont really know how best to describe it other than if you have always been used to say a fwd car and then drive a porsche or beetle you would think to yourself 'mmm... that's odd'.

It could be that I have a locker on my car, mind you had one before but not with such a wide tyre, that makes it feel like that.

Anyway, seen the axle and tyres and I say go for it as it will look the nuts and you know you want to do it really!

If you want to drive my car to see what I mean you are more than welcome.

P.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that Paul & cheers for the offer although I may have done all the work before I get a chance to take you up on it.

Don't suppose you've got any pictures of the Watts setup have you and are your shocks slung off the back of the axle as well ?

·
Premium Member
5,806 Posts
Si, If you want to make the trek out to the badlands of Great Barr, I'll take you round to Martyn Payne's and you can check the rear on his Pop. Narrowed 9", coil overs, adjustable rose jointed four link and a watts linkage and all in a package a lot narrower than yours.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
HAY SI, YOU CAN TUBE THE CAR AND USE THE LEAF SPRINGS, SOME MAY THINK THIS IS DAFT, BUT YOUR NOT AFTER A RACE CAR, WELL SAL IS,NT,IF YOU PUT INTERIOR/CARPET ON THE TUBS THIS WILL KEEP THE NOISE DOWN, AS ALAN SAID IF YOU WANT TO SEE MART,S ILL TAKE YOU OVER, BUT MART WILL TELL YOU AS MUCH AS HE LOVES THE CAR HE WOULD,NT WANT IT AS A DAILY,MY DEVON RUNS A 4 BAR AND PANARD ROD AND WORKS FINE, THE BIGGEST PROBLEM I FORESEE IS TALKING HER INTO IT, I COULD BRING THE BOYS ROUND BUT SALLS QUITE TUFF AND IVE CHIPPED A NAIL QUITE BADLEY:pmsl:

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
I've had a couple, a tubbed sierra that was super low with balloon tyres in it, wasn't too bad until you got up to speed then the back end just kept bouncing off the road with the tyres. The over all handling was pretty good for a pro street.
The other I had was my twin turbo'd Morris. Again, bounced at speed, was a bit too hard on the springs and yes, I do have a bad back. That car was on ladder bars and wasn't great, but fook me, did she handle. Used to take on everything, all the noise boys reckoned they could catcj=h me in the bends, no chance. There's a big roundabout here that I struggle to take at 50 in my T5 Volvo (s=which handles pretty well) and I took it well over that in the Morris.
Remember, It's just never gonna handle like a scooby, and the bigger diameter the tyres, the worse it gets.
Can't b ethat badm I'm building another one so I haven't been put off that much. Keeping the size down tho to 12" tyres with 26" rolling dia to keep things more "tame".

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Si, I've been wondering about how my car will drive, tubbed with a four bar/panhard rod and 29/15.5/15 Mickeys ever since I started building it - and some might say that as it'll never get on the road I needn't worry.
But, pro street cars look so f*cking cool you've just gotta do it anyway!

(p.s. if you're ever passing J23a on the M1 or A50 you're more than welcome to pop in and have a gander).

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
There's nothing more disappointing than a hearty pro street that can't do a burn out tho. Bare this in mind....... Oh, and wheelie bars that obviously aren't needed, i.e. not scuffed and damage thru' use.

:)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I really hate to say this as I love the look myself but aren't Pro Street cars still considered a little passe , maybe wait a few more years and build a 'Nostalgia' pro street Mustang :incheek:

As I remember my 67 Nova used to drive fine but then again I used to drive my fully solid mounted 4spd 5.13 geared Camaro as a daily , maybe 25 years later people are wanting better ride quality :lol: .

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
SI,

I have a lot of detailed pictures of the rearend, will post them up when I get home.

Not had the problem that others mention about high speed bounce, in fact I would say that my old bus is remarkably stable and quite nice to drive even at speed over 120 achieved on a private road of course.

I run quite a light spring, 150lb what are others using?

Mind you I wouldnt really consider mine as a prostreet car so maybe others have differant experiances.

Offer still stand if you see me around.

P.

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
There's nothing more disappointing than a hearty pro street that can't do a burn out tho. Bare this in mind....... Oh, and wheelie bars that obviously aren't needed, i.e. not scuffed and damage thru' use.

Yeah, I've got a bit of a thing about wheelie bars that are just for show. Same with dummy blowers.

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
only got one and thats drives fine.took a little while to get the tyre pressures right.runn at about 22 psi and seams to work well.

bit bouncy on slow acceleration round town but settles over about 20mph.

wouldnt worry if it cant burn out.
to some its just a look their after like wheelie bars ect.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I wouldn't worry there. It's got the 351 Cleveland that's been played with a little and the line lock i've had for a while. Wouldn't even bother with wheelie bars.

I really hate to say this as I love the look myself but aren't Pro Street cars still considered a little passe , maybe wait a few more years and build a 'Nostalgia' pro street Mustang :incheek:
Fitting this back end would be as a solution to some issues we've got with tin worm in the back of the Mustang. It'd either end up being a bit of a resto job with some expensive panels needed or turned pro-street due to already having the parts lying around and my bug beng a fair way off.

I've always loved the look so it's a no brainer for me and I wouldn't mind if it was a proper bone shaker (and also not fussed on what others think of the car as such). The thing is that it's the wifes car, she likes the look of pro street but couldn't put up with a car that's a nail to drive.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Si, If you want to make the trek out to the badlands of Great Barr, I'll take you round to Martyn Payne's and you can check the rear on his Pop. Narrowed 9", coil overs, adjustable rose jointed four link and a watts linkage and all in a package a lot narrower than yours.
Yup. I'll definitely be up for that :tup: Tend to be over Great Barr at times anyway as that's where Plumcrazee lives.

BUT MART WILL TELL YOU AS MUCH AS HE LOVES THE CAR HE WOULD,NT WANT IT AS A DAILY
That's something. It's never going to be a daily car anyway. I figured it'll be a bit better than in the bug due to the extra weight of the Mustang as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts