Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, got a problem with my braking system.seems i need to fit a dual circuit system but i'm using a remote servo with only one outlet. is there another part i can fit with dual outlets or any other way of sorting it. any help would be great. cheers

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
I take it you can't fit a normal bulkhead style servo and dual circuit anywhere ?

The other option is an additional servo so you have one in either line per some early BMWs .Otherwise you'll need a twin circuit which are around the £250 mark from SVC.

Have you sorced a dual circuit m/c yet ? You need one designed to be a standalone rather than one taken from a bulkhead servo as they have no internal circlip to retain the pushrod.

If you haven't what brakes are you running and pedal ratio as you need to match them all to make sure you only need to do the job once :tup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi kapri, i already have a single line in place which has been working well,but i've taken the car overseas and soon will be needing an lvv [sva] and realise i now need a dual circuit so am looking at the best way to change what i have. the system is under the flooras no bulkhead space, i dont know pedal ratio

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
New Zealand ??

The neatest and simplest method would be to change to a bulkhead style unit with servo and m/c incororated . You need to check the pedal ratio to make sure you have enough braking effort to pass the test ( I have been through SVA and attended BIVA tests here ).

Measure from the pivot point centre to the centre of where the push rod attaches, then measure from the pivot to centre of the pedal pad in a straight line ( ignoring the shape of the pedal ).

What is the rest of the braking system so that the m/c bore can be matched to making the correct effort?

I presume the test also has a servo depletion test ie it must be big enough to give several pushes should the engine die ?

Is ther any restriction on how the car is plumbed ie diagonal or front to rear or is it just per SVA as in one wheel per side as back up on seconday circuit?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
cheers for the reply kapri, you are right it is nz. the car is still on its way but i thought i could make a start on sourcing parts.dont know the pedal ratio yet but the rest is; jag rear, front [memory recall] ha disc with princess calipers,remote servo under seat and master cylinder size[again from memory] is .75. unfortunately nothing was worked out properly.a lesson to learn! as for the test, there is a depletion test but as for what split, none specific that i can find. again thanks for your help, it is appreciated, sorry about the delayed reply, limited use of 'puter and time difference, cheers. ps how about a power booster and dual circuit m/c and do away with the rest? are they dear?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
I was talking to a guy from NZ at the SSR Hotrod Picnic about their rules and regs and comparing to our SVA. The have had their regs for many years and worked with their Government to create them BEFORE they were enforced them.

Anyway , back to your brake set up, I'd be looking at a minimum of 7/8th m/c or 15/16ths on a 5 -5.5:1 pedal ratio for a nice feel and enough fluid moved.
There's not many cars that I've found with non bulkhead servoed dual circuit m/cs and the only ones I can think of is Beetles and Transporters and you'd need the dual circuit single unit remote that SVC do ( at £250 ) plus the cost of shipping out to you :shock:

One of my favourite units for an all disc set up is Mk2 Transit . They mount horizontally and flat to bulkhead so no problems with bleeding due to air pockets. Approx 9 inch servo body.

With a underfloor set up you can always move it further back , lengthen the pushrod , and pocket the floor under the seat to keep ground clearance.

The reason I asked about depletion test was that controls the size of the servo you can get away with. There are some nice big bore m/cs with small servos out there but they won't pass a depletion test.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks again for your valueable help, seems the easiest [ maybe not the cheapest]way is to use the dual remote from svc. maybe that will fit where the existing one is with only adapting the lines to suit.will also look into my pedal ratio.looking forward to getting the car here and back on the road for the oncoming summer [sorry about putting that bit in] thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts