Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a big pack of stuff back from DVLA where I attempted to register 4 imports. Two were okay, but I'll come to the wierd shit on that later.
Two were sent back to me as I didn't have a title, but did supply all the lien papers which are usually accepted so I'm told by others who have done this. They are proper papers all stamped up and were good enough for California customs to allow the export of the vehicles. Normally no vehicles can leave California without a title, so, for them to allow export on lien papers makes it okay. I have no idea why DVLA sent this lot back, is it down to another new guy not "on the ball"? as I do know at least two guys who have done this successfully. DVLA told me they need the title to prove the age of the vehicle (lien papers show this too) to get an age related plate.
Now that brings me to the other two which were successful. One of them is a 1962 Chevy truck and my paperwork was submitted with MOT etc, and form filled in as date of first reg 01/01/62. My V5 has come back with first reg as 01/06/14 and first UK reg as the same.
I have also noticed recently that some V5s coming back are giving first reg date properly i.e. 01/01/.. bUT some are coming back as 31/12/.. WTF????
Anybody on here registered on lien papers or anybody know what to do next. I'm not normally stuck or asking for advice, but here we go................. Oh, and please guys, don't start asking or discussing lien papers and what they are, let's keep this clean and find out why some at DVLA allow them and some don't. If you haven't heard of lien papers, please start a separate thread as I don't want this to go off at a tangent if possible. Some threads on here get a bit mixed up and off topic, much easier if we have a new thread each time a new topic comes up:tup:

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
62 would be 3 number 3 letter. B suffix is for 1964.
soz, I just realised I had fucked that one up, I was looking at stuff for my ''64 F100 when I typed this up! Just can't work out why they put first reg date as 01/06/14 though, and that's for both first reg and first Uk reg.
text of original amended now

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
Some 63s had a suffix some didn't.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,138 Posts
You got it right first time , arse / elbow syndrome at DVLA . Send it back explaining ,in not a lot of words , how they've cocked up. Someone has obviously looked at thee wrong part of the form when inputting data .

The usual date given on a PROVEN date of manufacture is 1/1/** as this makes the vehicle the oldest it can be.

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not too fussed about them fucking up the dates Kev. Really need to see about the lien papers instead of titles aseone of the trucks involved has a buyer waiting

·
Registered
69 Posts
We recently registered our '59 ford with no original title, we had to get it registered on the NOVA system, (as it was imported prior to this), then had to get a 'recognised club' to inspect it and write explaining what year it is etc, first we tried the AAC, who weren't helpful, wanting an MOT certificate, then we joined the CAAC who were very helpful.

It took 5 months and 4 attempts, with the DVLA asking for different things each time and we did have to submit a complaint, ( this was recommended on 2 separate phone calls to the DVLA).

I think ours came back with a 31.12.59 reg date

Sorry if this is of no help, as I don't now what lien papers are, but it's how we got ours registered without the original title.

Alex B

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alex, thanks for the help mate, and it is a help, 'cause if it takes that long to sort it out via car clubs, etc, I will defo be quicker getting California DMV to produce a title, so, if Swansea don't take my letter of explanation as being enough to allow registration, I wont piss about, I'll get my man right onto DMV to sort it out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The car club letter was the last application, (well, second to last, but the DVLA rep we spoke to on the phone said it should have been registered on that).

If you make a complaint they HAVE to respond within 48 hours apparently, when we spoke to the complaint lady she said send it her, we sent it all to her on the Thursday, she phoned 9.30 Tuesday morning saying it landed on her desk that morning and she'd sorted it and posted it back out for next day delivery!

Other issues were just typical government body, first said a photocopy of the title was fine, second wanted an embossed limited company certificate, which we explained is very difficult to print out, third was the club letter, fourth was via the complaints lady. I think we just had a lot of people who couldn't be bothered as it wasn't the norm. If we'd complained sooner I'm sure it would have been quicker.

I think it's easy enough to complain online.

Alex B

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,717 Posts
As Alex said Jim, speak to David Munson at the CAAGB about a dating letter, he's just done me one for a 60 Caddy that's been here since 83 but has the wrong VIN which means I can't export it as it has to be correct for the country its heading to. I can give you his number when I'm back in the UK tomorrow if its not on their website. Might be a small fee for one letter but if you join the club there's normally no fee.

Andy

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Andy, may well have to do that. In the meantime, I've sent it all back to DVLA with a letter explaining that the lien papers are laid out just like a title with year of manufacture on them, stamped and authenticated by the uS government lien sale dept, and also pointed out that for the trucks involved, the year is easily shown in the vin number. I'll see how I get on this time round.
Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
dvla are a piss take,got a cat d repaired transit van ,the sons motor,repaired it ,no tax in the window but shows up as taxed, mot expired, log book in his name,went to post office ,wanted to sorn it, no sir you cant its showing taxed,came home rang the dvla. they said it needs to be sorn, back down post office, no sir you still cant sorn it you need a tax reminder to do that, son says i only had motor 3 weeks ,just got log book this saturday havent got a tax reminder, sorry sir cannot help you, so after being fucked around by the dvla and the post office. he went to asdas with the log book and asked the woman for tax for this reg number, certainly sir go to this counter, hey presto came home with tax .. work that out

·
Registered
545 Posts
soz, I just realised I had fucked that one up, I was looking at stuff for my ''64 F100 when I typed this up! Just can't work out why they put first reg date as 01/06/14 though, and that's for both first reg and first Uk reg.
text of original amended now
Hi Jimmy, did you get the first reg changed or leave as is? I've just registered a 1931 Model A and both first reg dates are 1/9/14 . Will this matter in the future?
Cheers, Ron.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,138 Posts
Does the book say " Declared date of manufacture 1931" on the 3rd page 'change of owner' slip?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,138 Posts
Well at least it recognises that fact. Generally I've found that 'barn find / resurrected' type cars ONLY list declared date of manufacture whilst imports show date of first registration as 1/1/19**, no idea why .Personally I'd want the details correct ( because DVLA insist your paperwork is correct even if they can't manage it themselves!! ) but be prepared for a drawn out game of paper ping pong.

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
does the DVLA maintain a help desk at Swansea? With real, live humans you can speak to and everything?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Although I haven't done it recently, I can't imagine they will dispute a copy of the original Build Card showing date of build, chassis number, and the original engine number ( which is still in the truck. )

Anyone with an old US Chrysler product should check to see if their Build Card is available at Chrysler Historical.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts