Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been covered before but can we not have a separate section for stuff for sale on Ebay?

Got to admit I'm fucked off with looking at for sale ads only to find it's a link to fuckin Gay bay - gets on my titamatics...

Sorry - perhaps that should be in the rants section?

What do you think? about Gaybay not rants dumb arse...

add line of juggling clowns here....

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Why should Si use up his resources promoting another site?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I hate the for sale threads linking directly to ebay only as well, along with the "for sale, car, blue, v8, £15k" style ones. Would it kill you to take a bloody photo?

I can only imagine the ads are the bain of Si's (and mods) lifes. Not a moan or rant, just an observation about this great site. Shame some people dont appreciate what Si supplies for nowt.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Any reason why not?
I'm not keen on adding 'yet another' segregated area for ads personally. It would end up with us mods having to move threads and people getting pissed off when their threads are moved etc.

As for the actual eBay ads, that's a different matter.
eBay is currently the main resource that allows me to keep this site free :tup:
eBay links on here account for the majority of the income generated monthly by the site to cover it's costs and allow for future expansion, new hardware etc. etc.

I'm not going to shoot the bill payer.

Whenever a link to eBay is posted on here it's automagically converted to an affiliate link. For each click of a link RnS essentially "gets paid".
Obviously this goes into a whole different level of detail depending on if the person buys that item, browses and buys other unreleated stuff or just never goes back and such but that's another essay lol.

If we block eBay ads or split them off into an area where they might receive less traffic then it puts the site at risk. Although we have the forum section sponsors, once those revenues are split out across the year it quickly dwindles away. eBay provides that regular income needed to keep things ticking over.

Don't forget, along with hardware costs i've got software costs to cover, licences, hosting, bandwidth, development, pizza, pepsi etc. with the majority being monthly outgoings.

In short, eBay allows threads like this to be filled mainly with usernames that are in white :tup:
They might grate on people a little but at the end of the day they give you this site to use :tup:

As a side note, they can't piss everyone off because on an average month there is £40,000's worth of sales (sales not profit) going through eBay where the people involved have at some point within that month clicked on a link via here.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I can see both yours and Cragars points here Si and as there is already a specific ebay listings section in the classifieds then maybe people who want to sell their car on ebay only and not give any other details , price , pics or offers to R'n'S members should only be able to put their ad in that sub section of the forum ?

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
So just to confirm. If when we want to go onto ebay, instead of going directly there we find a link on here to navigate there RnS earns money? If so I'll take that route every time!!
Essentially, yep :tup:
However, if there's loads of clicks and no-one actually ever buys anything then our 'quality' gets assessed as crap and we get dumped from the program.
Click with interest by all means but don't just click for the helluvit as it's not necessarily a good thing.

If you fancy searching eBay for something though then feel free to use this page --> eBay Listings on Rods 'n' Sods If you spotted something on there you wanted to buy (maybe even if you'd browsed elsewhere for it before or had searched on an item number or something like that ;)) then a click and purchase that way would be classed as high quality traffic and increase our potentials :tup:

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
I can see both yours and Cragars points here Si and as there is already a specific ebay listings section in the classifieds then maybe people who want to sell their car on ebay only and not give any other details , price , pics or offers to R'n'S members should only be able to put their ad in that sub section of the forum ?
The classifieds area is in need of a re-vamp, I agree with that. One of the things I think we'll see is that there does need to be a certain level of information included with every advert, eBay linked or not.

eBay Links piss some off, no price pisses others off, no pics pisses off another group and chatting on sales threads pisses off the rest.
I've got a whole load of people to try and keep happy.

As an incheek moment, it does my head in when people rant in chat, put within the thread that they think it probably ought to be in rants and then continue on to post it in chat anyway :incheek:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the intelligent reply - understand now although like Tescos, Ebay seems to be taking over the world - gets even worse when you cock something up and they pass judgement on you without listening - which they do, frequently.

ok you put tongue in cheek granted but the after thought that I should have put it in rants was genuinely an after thought not some sort of tactic...

...and yes we do appreciate what you do and yes I know how difficult it is to keep people happy - I've worked on quite a lot of car mags in my time - if you want to experience irrational hate for merely trying to do your job, try that! But then at least we get paid for it!! And no that's not a dig...:tup:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Si. Simple question from an ebay numptie then.

If I see an item on eBay, note the item number and then use the RnS ebay listings section to find and buy the item would the RnS site get an affiliate payment or just kudos from ebay as a good through-click site?

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Yep RnS would get an affiliate payment from that.

It would also be classed as good traffic and improve our 'traffic quality' rating with eBay due to being a browse and buy.

Naturally, I cant tell you to due that probably due to some T&C's somewhere :tup:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Cheers Si. Due to the T&C's naturally I didn't read or understand that, however in future car parts purchased off ebay will be via RnS. Important stuff "traffic quality". Hopefully every little helps. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.