Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
My name is Martin
2,618 Posts
Presumably they've hacked someones account to list the 100's and 100's of cars for sale. Quite obvious its a scam from the 2nd images.

I can't imagine there is much success in duping people for the hard earned, but I guess 1 out 1000 might fall for it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
But........how come they keep doing this? eBay were hot on my case when I listed human remains and also tried to go and view a 50's sofa in Derby! They gave me a telling off and a 'suspension' from buying or selling on there and a 'don't be a naughty boy again' type of email. Yet, these scumbags seem to be doing this scamming stuff all the time on there.
Oh, and another telling off for listing a 1950's toy Pop Gun that lost it's 'pop'. The worlds gone mad.....

·
Registered
852 Posts
eBay were hot on my case when I l tried to go and view a 50's sofa in Derby! They gave me a telling off and a 'suspension' from buying or selling on there and a 'don't be a naughty boy again' type of email.
Do I understand that right? You were suspended because you wanted to go and view an item for sale?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Do I understand that right? You were suspended because you wanted to go and view an item for sale?
I recently bought an old generator, when I contacted the seller to arrange collection I got a message along the lines of 'don't share contact information...' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I recently bought an old generator, when I contacted the seller to arrange collection I got a message along the lines of 'don't share contact information...' :rolleyes:
Ah, OK, I understand now, sellers list items that sell, buyers purchase, ebay get commission from the sale, the buyer isn't given the information on where to collect from, so the item has to be relisted ad infinitum.... Add all the commisions from the multiple non-sales together and ebay are coining it in....:unsure:

I shall be asking where I can view an item that's currently listed, let's see what happens.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
dodgeman; You are spot on. The sofa was listed, I contacted the seller to ask if I could go and see it and then if I liked it, I'd buy it. She was happy with that. I set off one bleak Sunday afternoon to go and check it out. Due to two long diversions and fog appearing over the Moors I got halfway there and rang her to say I couldn't get there for the arranged time. She was ok with that (by the way, I didn't buy the sofa in the end) Anyway, Fleabay contacted me and suspended my account. They said I should have bought the sofa, then gone to check it out and if I didn't like it, not 'buy' it if I didn't like it! I argued that and mentioned buying a motor car. They said I had to do the same thing; buy it then go and check it out and then (my words) 'un-buy' it. I likened that to some bloke coming up to me in a pub, producing a photograph of a car and asking if I wanted to buy it for 10k then me saying 'oh yes, why not...here's my money!'

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ebay have got the market so sewn up they think they can screw everyone over. I particularly like the following:

Fleabay contacted me and suspended my account. They said I should have bought the sofa, then gone to check it out and if I didn't like it, not 'buy' it if I didn't like it!
So you're supposed to bid, and if you win, then forget all about the bit where ebay say "once you win the auction, or hit buy it now, you are making a contract with the seller that you will purchase the item" Ebay just say what suits them best at the time.

I've read what you say, and I can believe it, but would I do it, would I f*ck, I'd do what you did....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Correct. And also, sellers sometimes put on thier advert; 'You bid to buy, not haggle once you get here' to paraphrase. Some of the people I've dealt with over the years would put me in hospital if I did that but.....what happens if the pictures lie which, we all know, they can.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Have to say, despite its many faults/drawbacks, I've never had a problem contacting a seller through ebay for any reason, including viewing the item, prior to doing the deal.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
fogey; Have you sent the seller, or the seller sent you, their phone number via messages? eBay intercept those messages and block them...well, they do when I try it but as I said before, they're on my case. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've done exactly that (admittedly, not for a while) and not had a problem - perhaps things have changed - I wouldn't put anything past them . . . . .

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I must add; you can exchange phone numbers but only after a sale has been completed. At least that's what they told me and, to be fair to them..they weren't wrong. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts