Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can offer some advice here other than "should have bought a Holley"!!

Recently fitted a new Edelbrock 600 manual choke to a fairly stock 350 SBC, it's a 4 bolt mains from an early 80's truck, has headers and Edelbrock performer intake, otherwise stock. When I bought the vehicle the motor had a 750cfm carb which was too big, though it ran fine over 2500rpm it needed to be downsized. So I fitted a new 600cfm and changed nothing else. To date it runs poorly below about 2000rpm. I've tried every combination of idle screw location, accelerator pump position, different vac ports for the HEI, fitted new NGK plugs gapped at 045", but still it bogs low down. I run a stock TH350.

I have just ordered a new MSD HEI dizzy and new 8mm leads. Also bought a jet kit but not changed anything yet. (I would be doing this anyway over the winter when the motor is out so I can tidy the engine bay up) Hoping a better spark may help, maybe a long shot I guess.

Any help would be appreciated....I am sure I am missing something simple!

Cheers

ZED

·
Registered
211 Posts
Any vacuum leaks? Pcv port? Or intake manifold?
I had a bogging problem on my holley 600 turned out I forgot to plug the PCV port!

·
Registered
681 Posts
there should not be a problem with an edelbrock, they are a very easy carb to set up. have you fitted a vacumn gauge , and then set the idle screws to that? is the cam set up correctly? give me a ring if you get stuck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kurt and Adey.

No vac leaks for sure. I'll try a vac gauge on there, fair point, usually rely on the ear...but I'm getting older!

Thanks again, will let ya know how I get on.

Cheers,

HCC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts