Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i help out a couple of older people and both of them were with E ON for their electric supply, i sorted out paying the bills for them, neither want standing orders and are house bound, so every 3 months i went to town and paid their bills, now the company wants monthly payment, so thats 36 trips to town to pay their bills, had a quick look to chance companies for them, but it dont say until you apply at the end if monthly bill payment, anyone know a company that still does bills every 3 months for electric??

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
The trouble is they may be paying more that way. Everything is geared toward direct debit these days and if you use a company like uswitch, it makes a massive difference in keeping bills down by regularly changing. Go on a price companion site and see how much can be saved. Are they against direct debit because they don't have an account or are they just 'old school' ? I always said I'd never do online banking but it's one of the best things I've done

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Fkn hell.....dont even start me off on this, paid mine cash for 31years with a nice walk to the PO.....THEY swopped it to Monthly bills paid via a fkn DD....not in my World, took me 3 fkn weeks to sort the EON scum out....who never let me know that NPower was no longer my supplier...."debt collection" threats, £10 "fine" for late payment for the bill that didnt have a bar code on so I could pay it...it drove me fkn nuts sorting it out

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am with EON and still pay every 3 months, i do pay online and read my meter and send it in on line..

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am with EON and still pay every 3 months,
Me too, but I've had a couple of letters saying that I have been transferred to an "EON Next" account, and that I don't have to do anything, and that nothing will change. Just had a bill and whereas I used to write a cheque and pay it over the counter at my bank, now the only way I can pay by cheque is to post it to them. The bill had to be paid within 7 days of the bill date, it took 5 days for it to arrive in the post, so that's never gonna happen... So much for "nothing will change". Now it's either cash or debit card at a paypoint or Post office for me, I don't pay anything online, and I certainly won't be giving the thieving bunch of c*nts my bank details. As for the late payment charge, they've tried that one before, and got nowhere, and my credit score suffering is of no consequence either.

I don't think you can be compelled to go monthly DD, (unless you have a really bad history), and if they don't have your bank details, and you don't give those to them, there's no way they can do it anyway.

·
Registered
902 Posts
My late mum was with EON and paid monthly by direct debit. However, some work was was being done to her house for a few months after she died. As executor, I opted to go for three monthly billing by cheque/money transfer until we sold the house which they were content with.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My late mum was with EON and paid monthly by direct debit. However, some work was was being done to her house for a few months after she died. As executor, I opted to go for three monthly billing by cheque/money transfer until we sold the house which they were content with.
EON sent letters out saying it now called EON next, and from then on monthly payment ..... not the sort of company you would want to use i think, are all companies now monthly payment for electricity??

·
Registered
831 Posts
EON sent letters out saying it now called EON next, and from then on monthly payment ..... not the sort of company you would want to use i think, are all companies now monthly payment for electricity??
As I said previously, I'm on that tariff, and so far no mention of compulsory DD. Time will tell whether they ask, or demand, that I have to go that way, but I can tell you that it won't be happening.

·
Registered
896 Posts
We're with Octopus, send a meter reading in each month and pay by DD. Believe me, I'm a Luddite when it comes to online stuff but it makes sense to me. Why get in credit, you don't walk into Tesco and pay for next week's shopping up front, do you?

·
Registered
35 ford Tudor slantback
157 Posts
To be honest 4xm, you're obviously a top bloke for helping them, it's a shame they don't appreciate the efforts you are making for them n therefore comply just to ease what you are doing for them (cos I'm sure that aint all you do for 'em)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts