Rods 'n' Sods banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi I've found a kit that I can use, what temp range am I looking for as there is a few to choose from??

Regards Stuart

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
if you have a twin set up I have a diagram which runs both and varies the speed to temp
I only have one fan, I'm wondering what one I should get like if it comes on at 190 and shuts of at 170 for example??

Regards Stuart

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Can you confirm what engine you are using again?

If its a SBC then fan cutting in at about 200 and shutting off at around 190 is about right. Shutting off at 170 is too cold and probably wont ever shut off as you wont get the temps that low. Engines need to be a minimum of 180/185 to evaporate off the water vapour in the oil.
Yeah it's a stock 350sbc there is a kit that does those temps

Regards Stuart

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Can you confirm what engine you are using again?

If its a SBC then fan cutting in at about 200 and shutting off at around 190 is about right. Shutting off at 170 is too cold and probably wont ever shut off as you wont get the temps that low. Engines need to be a minimum of 180/185 to evaporate off the water vapour in the oil.
This is the kit I was thinking of???

·
Administrator
9,520 Posts
That should work fine (though you could to your local Allparts or Euro Car parts and order a switch for about £10 and a relay for about a fiver?)

You might need to play with the temp sensor to get it right which is why I went back to my adjustable Kenlowe controller in the end as I just could not get the right temp sender range to suit my car (which was a bit tricky to be fair).

Your truck should be easier as its a much bigger engine bay so should behave better to the controller.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That should work fine (though you could to your local Allparts or Euro Car parts and order a switch for about £10 and a relay for about a fiver?)

You might need to play with the temp sensor to get it right which is why I went back to my adjustable Kenlowe controller in the end as I just could not get the right temp sender range to suit my car (which was a bit tricky to be fair).

Your truck should be easier as its a much bigger engine bay so should behave better to the controller.
Perfect thanks for the help I've got a order going in today anyway so I'll just add it on

Regards Stuart

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

There's nothing like spending £100+ on something from the states when a £20 fix from Euros will work, probably better. :tup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
There's nothing like spending £100+ on something from the states when a £20 fix from Euros will work, probably better. :tup:
Very true using Global Delivery network isn't too bad tbh with the custom charges included and as I said I have a order going in anyway for stuff I can't get in the UK

Another question I'm sure my thermostat is 160f will that be OK or will I need a 180f one??

Cheers

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That's around 71C so maybe not hot enough for street use so maybe a 180 would be better, don't go any hotter than that though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi I noticed on the wiring diagram that I can run the grey/white wire to a switch which I presume is for switching it on/off when I require, the switch has two wire terminals and the relay has one wire do I run a ground from the other one??

Regards Stuart

·
Administrator
9,520 Posts
Going by that wiring diagram ONLY then the grey/white is the power in for the relay SWITCH circuit.
This is used for EITHER the ign + to control it or the switch to control it.

This ONLY controls whether the fan can run when the ign is on - OR - if using the switch when the switch is on.

If you want to use the switch as a manual override switch then you would add it into the black wire to the sender and then via the switch to ground. This would trigger the fan as if the sender was saying it was too hot. The switch would not illuminate if wired in this way though.

Personally I would not bother with the illuminated switch (use a non illuminated one) but I would add it into the black wire circuit as the override. Run the grey/white to an ignition controlled circuit so fan goes off when ign off.

If you refer back to my wiring diagranm I posted you can see how I wired it - if you want a bigger version PM me your email addy as I can't post bigger images here.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Going by that wiring diagram ONLY then the grey/white is the power in for the relay SWITCH circuit.
This is used for EITHER the ign + to control it or the switch to control it.

This ONLY controls whether the fan can run when the ign is on - OR - if using the switch when the switch is on.

If you want to use the switch as a manual override switch then you would add it into the black wire to the sender and then via the switch to ground. This would trigger the fan as if the sender was saying it was too hot. The switch would not illuminate if wired in this way though.

Personally I would not bother with the illuminated switch (use a non illuminated one) but I would add it into the black wire circuit as the override. Run the grey/white to an ignition controlled circuit so fan goes off when ign off.

If you refer back to my wiring diagranm I posted you can see how I wired it - if you want a bigger version PM me your email addy as I can't post bigger images here.
Perfect cheers

21 - 37 of 37 Posts