Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was on way my home last night I thought the wipers were going just a gnats faster than usual but thought no more of it. I've just been out in it to find that the radio comes on as you'd expect when you start up but as I drove off it went off, coming back on as I came to a halt. I put it down to a loose plug or dry joint that was affected by pulling away/stopping.

On the drive I let it tickover, the radio was on, as I revved it the radio went off only coming back on as it settled back to idle. The only thing I can think of is it's overcharging, anyone got any thoughts?

PS. All other electrical systems seem fine, lights all working etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Mmmmm..have you tried to check the charging rate with a voltmetter across the battery before starting , during idle and then when revved up to rule that out ?
Does he radio light go off when it cuts out?

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not done the voltmeter bit yet as I haven't got one! The radio is as if you've switched it off, no display, sound or lights, then it all just comes back on again.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
What about putting the lights on and seeing if the light eget brighter as you rev ? Try the same with the wipers ,idle and then revved .Might be a guide ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
False earth (as we call it in Norway) can sometimes cause parts of the electric system to do strange things.

Have you done something to the electric system lately? A quick fix like fastened a loose wire? replaced a broken wire? Added some new electric equipment?

Have a look under the dash and in the engine bay. Look for loose ends that can reach body metal.

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update.

I drove the 1/2 mile to a mates earlier today as he has a multi meter. Halfway there I could smell eggs so assumed the battery was getting boiled. We stuck the meter on the battery with the engine switched off, it was showing 14.something volts. The fun started when I started it up. 14, 16, 17, 18, 19.5 volts showing as quick as you can say the numbers!

With my huge auto electrical knowledge [if it ain't the fuse or the bulb, it's cattled] I reckon there may be a fault with the regulator eh?!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Newalternator then, unless it has an external reg ( unusual nowadays ).If it has check that it's earthed correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts