Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was following a learner driver the other day , and they were finding it awkward to say the least, so i kept my distance as we were all a learner once , it got me thinking what embarrassing moment did you have learning to drive.
i will start back in 1996 i was driving with my instructor around this country lane i knew quite well , just around the corner the road goes up quite a steep hill i was in 3rd gear put the car in what i thought was 2nd but oh no 4th it was and you guessed it car stalled halfway up the hill . so hand brake on , neutral start car again guess what stalled again if fact 3 time before my instructor decided to let the rather large que of cars parts. when they had all gone , off i went fine guess the pressure got to much for me.:sniff:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was on a country lane I knew very well on the bike and a little squeal from my instructor and a "keep it out of the hedge please" my usual line on the road had put the passenger side of the car right in the verge - oops!

On my bike lessons I managed to complete my hill start to a round of applause and the comment "nice job, never pass yer test like that tho' " he then explained that the front wheel was about 2" off the ground all the way up the hill - I'd wheelied it! (I had no clue It'd left the ground or landed!!!!)

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
when i was on my driving test i was driving through barking town center on a busy shopping day when a woman stepped out with her kid in a pram right in front of me , i slammed the brakes on , the instructor who was busy studying his clipboard , somehow managed to whack himself in the eye with his pencil :pmsl: dont think he was very amused but didn't make me do another emergency stop ... :D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Only had one lesson which was the hour before the test exactly a week after my seventeenth birthday. The instructor said i was wasting my time.I passed and he wasn't to pleased on the way home.

·
Dazed & Confused
3,507 Posts
when i was on my driving test i was driving through barking town center on a busy shopping day when a woman stepped out with her kid in a pram right in front of me , i slammed the brakes on , the instructor who was busy studying his clipboard , somehow managed to whack himself in the eye with his pencil :pmsl: dont think he was very amused but didn't make me do another emergency stop ... :D
I had a similar test experience, in sunny Grays, Essex. Same thing happened to me, (but I think it was a different woman with pram), and the examiner hit his head on the windscreen!

I passed :tup:

On a similar note, back in the early 70's, I was teaching a young workmate to drive, still in Grays, (luckily in his own car), and he decided to see how fast he could go in first gear, followed by tackling Blackshots roundabout in 4th gear!

He finished the lesson by running out of petrol half a mile from home...............

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ah, nineteen years old...I remember giving one of my girlie workmates some "lessons" in my "custom" GT6 over the lorry park after the pub's had closed...embarassing cos there's not a lot you can do in a GT6 with fixed Corbeau buckets...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts