Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my name is Trevor and I'm a newbie. I have recently bought a 1960 Mk 2 Consul Deluxe. It has no engine, radiator or exhaust but everything else is still intact. It has the original 3 speed column change gearbox and prop shaft still fitted. I have the chance to purchase a 2ltr Ford Pinto with 5 speed box but I would like to know if I could keep the 3 speed column change gear box somehow. I don't want to convert it to floor change unless I really have to. Any advice would be welcome thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure about the strenght of the 3 speeder but I do know that the bellhousing is removable so maybe a modder pinto bellhousing could be fabbed. Rear diff on Consul has weak u-bolt fixings and this can be updated to more common bolt-on flange type using a Mk3 Zephyr/Zodiac diff . Good luck with conversion and welcome to this site

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Why not drop an original engine back in? Mounts are ready, everything will fit. Tazz around for a while whilst you formulate a plan.

My God, I sound more like a restorer every day!
I doubt if a 3 speed would last too long. They were originally for about 55 hp, and a lot less torque.

And welcome! Notice you are just up the road, if you need to talk more, PM me.

·
Stroker
5,499 Posts
Stock or not!

Just seen a stock engine on the bay and for the cost of a rebuild and sourcing the other original parts it may be far easier and more bhp to go the pinto route.
Just get creative with a long bendy gear lever :D as it happens the floor has an inspection cover thing just where a lever would come through (I think). I can't quite remember if I had to enlarge it when I dropped in a 4 speed conversion !?

I fancy another Consul as a daily but wouldn't want a stock mill tbh.

cheers
Jimbo

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Pinto bellhousing bolts on but you need to modify it so the 3spd selector can go through it as it protrudes the front of the box ............. I will add that your going to encounter a problem where the clutch is concerned .....consul is hydraulic pintos are cable ...there is a hyd cylinder that works the right way around (rally design Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design) but ive never used one

There is someone on here that fitted a pinto into the consul (rockin-dave13) and did what looked like a good job :tup:

Good luck :tup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much guys ! I've now got a pinto and 5 speed box and I've found out I can fit them and with a bit of modification on the gear stick I can still have a bench seat in front. It's got 2 separate front seats at the moment so I'll have to find someone who might want to swap them for a bench seat. But thanks again for all your advice, it's much appreciated. I won't have any trouble with bodywork mods because I'm a sheet metal fabricator welder by trade, it's just the mechanics I'm a bit rusty on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dave, I'd already had a look at your photos. Can you tell me how much you chopped off the sump so that it would clear the cross member ? I could alter that then without having to keep getting the engine in and out ! lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts