Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There's a chap that does the old car shows/steam fairs down here that's got a Bristol 401/403 with a Triumph 2000 engine. I would describe it as being in oily rag condition, but basically the car has most of its paint missing. He's owned it for 40/50 years.

Yours looks v interesting. Tell us more!

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Just watch the crank thrush washers!

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
had one of those in my tvr 2500m...

,suposed to be the 104 bhp US version , but obviously someone had played with it , it had 225 cranking compression on a compression test ,and revved past 6500 , and pulled 130mph easily ! so raise the compression by skimming the head to around 10.5:1 and put in a fast rd /rally camshaft .then get it set up on a rolling road that knows sidedraught carbs .

it will fly . :)

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
We have a chap race with us in Outlaw Street with a GT6. Really nice little piece of kit and relatively fast for what it is. I think the fastest GT6 in UK. Look up George Ralph.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
These are a lovely engine when set up properly, had one in my Herald convertible. Used to be several companies that supplied tuning kit, Triumphtune (now part of Moss I believe), Gareth Thomas' GT Transmissions (but I can't find a link), and Racetorations.

Basically twas the old story of make it breathe better, exhaust and air filters, then cam' then head work in that order. Shouldn't really need Webers unless the head work has already been done as SUs are capable of delivering plenty for all but the heavily tweaked motors. Bottom ends, clutches and gearboxes (other than the Herald derived ones) are all up to the job unless you're going racing.

You've pretty much combined two of my favourite motor manufacturers there - Triumph (of which I've had more than I could count) and Bristol (just the one, but what a car that was - 1975 411 with a blueprinted 400cube Chrysler).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I had a ropey '76 2500 TC auto years ago, used to spend ages trying to balance/tune the knackered carbs. One thing (which I'm sure you've already done) that was always recommended was to ditch the element oil filter and fit a spin-on conversion. I remember that I would get a 'tinkling' sound from the gearbox on mine, I thought it was about to self destruct. I spoke to the 'old school' mechanic at the garage where I had previously worked, he told me it was the started pinion touching the ring gear and to space the stater out with some washers. Problem solved!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I spoke to the 'old school' mechanic at the garage where I had previously worked, he told me it was the started pinion touching the ring gear and to space the stater out with some washers. Problem solved!
You have to get that shimming right otherwise you get that hideous scream when the starter doesn't engage properly, like loads of them used to have back in the day. You then sit there wondering whether it's worth trying again. It really used to wake up the neighbours....

·
Registered
85 Posts
We have a 2500 with SU HS6's, lightened flywheel, extractor manifold & fast road cam fitted to Dad's AC Greyhound, which would have had a Bristol 100D originally, but lost that long before Dad bought it. Here it is going up Shelsley Walsh as part of an ACOC display:

I think it still needs setting up properly, any recommendations in the Shropshire/Cheshire area?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.