Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive a bit of a problem with low oil pressure in my essex v4 (fresh built) its got about 400miles on it now and i was getting the oil light coming on once things were upto temp after a run of 20mls or so.. not always and only on tickover.. i replaced the light switch and thought id fixed it, but the problem has returned, so i put a smiths gauge on instead of the switch to see what its reading 40lbs running and about 20lbs tickover cold! the book says normal is 50lbs for a V4. not done a run test yet but im guessing the pressures will come down once hot... could it be the oil im using.. before i start pulling things apart.. ive got "comma classic 40" oil in it Classic Motor Oil 40 | eBay

your thoughts please

edit its the oil in the link ive in not the 20-50 in the heading... just checked the can, it says change every 600miles!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hi squeaka, when the engine was rebuilt was a new oil pump fitted ?, as for the oil Comma 20/50 is a good oil, it was tested against many leading brand virgin oils many years ago and came out on top.
Ive used it for years in my Harleys and old cars with no problems.

Cheers

Dave

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,717 Posts
I found with the classic oil my oil consumption was excessively high and the car breathed a lot, switched to Valvoline 20/50 mineral oil and it uses hardly any oil and breathes very little

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts
i use comma classic 20/50 with no issues. change at about 6000 miles like you used to in the 60's/70's with engines we're still using now and you'll be fine. additives like molyslip if you can still get it won't hurt either.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
I use that or Halfords Classic Motor oil ( which I'd guess is actually Duckhams). 20/50 will be thicker thann 40 at temperature and, if my experience from years back of 10/40 vs 20/50 still stands, it'll run 10lbs more pressure.

·
MR UN-POPULAR
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks ppl.. im getting a filter tomorrow and ill change whats in for the 20-50 see if that helps things... although im not confident it will change things!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts