Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what the Law say's about engine swaps this week please.

I'm thinking about putting a more useable engine in the PA. The swap would be something like a 2ltr Pinto/ V6/RV8 etc. This would be a swap from it's original 2.2 straight 6.
The last time I bought a car that the previous owner didn't declare an engine swap but I did; the DVLA wanted a reciept from Cologne from 1983 for the engine, the name, number, and what time the bloke had his breakfast and exactly what he ate on the day he did the swap etc etc. Just wondering what it's like now as opposed to then (that was about 12 years back)

Thought i'd ask here before I rang the DVLA.
Many thankings.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,270 Posts
I wrote a reply that disappeared?

Again, you don't need to supply any of thta on an Historic vehicle, just chnages details in v5C and add a short polite note pointing out it's Historic.

Bear in mind that a non marque engine swap will mean loss of any MOT exemption already claimed.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weird! I posted my original post and that disappeard!

Thanks for the reply and that was just what I wanted to hear. ;)

·
Nowheresville
3,065 Posts
And Kev forgot to say that asking someone at DVLA a general question is a bit pointless (that's assuming they have anyone answering the phones yet).

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Ford V6 will go with plenty of room to spare , Rover , had one in my PA had to make headers to clear steering box and other bits in the way plus notch the sump pan, IMHO , straight 6 would be easier , must be a few being swapped out for V8s even better if you could get later Chevy /GM

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,270 Posts
Problem with PA engine swaps is always the thick front crossmemeber . I did a PC 3.3 into one years ago and had to modify the sump.
And Kev forgot to say that asking someone at DVLA a general question is a bit pointless (that's assuming they have anyone answering the phones yet).
I hate it when people say they've spoken to DVLA and they said... Anyone who knows anything is considered far too valuable to answer phones. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,686 Posts
Ford V6 will go with plenty of room to spare , Rover , had one in my PA had to make headers to clear steering box and other bits in the way plus notch the sump pan, IMHO , straight 6 would be easier , must be a few being swapped out for V8s even better if you could get later Chevy /GM
yep, i had a pa years ago with a ford 3.0 v6 in. it fitted a treat, loads of room.
neil.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be totally honest....I don't reeeeally want to do an engine swap but it seems to be the 'easiest' solution to Vauxhall having concentrated too much on chrome and not enough on a 4th gear. A mate pointed out (last year) it was fitted with the wrong sized wheels (13" instead of 14") and after I fitted a set of 14's it did seem happier.....sort of. Then I started looking for an overdrive 'box for it....well, to be honest I started looking in 1974 which is when I bought my first PA and I'm still looking! Strangley enough, Lord Lucan used to have one...well...that's what he told me..... :whistle:

·
Premium Member
14,686 Posts
you won't help the top speed with a 4 speed box from a later car, both have a 1:1 top gear. the 4 speed just has more gears to keep the engine in it's 'power' band easier. it may be easier to swap to a later better geared rear axle instead. or an axle from something else, again with a better ratio. higher numerically is lower geared/top speed in case you didn't know.
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,686 Posts
2.0 litre pinto or zetec with a mazda 5/6 speed box on an adapter plate (as type 9 boxes are stupid money now).

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wrote a reply that disappeared?

Again, you don't need to supply any of thta on an Historic vehicle, just chnages details in v5C and add a short polite note pointing out it's Historic.

Bear in mind that a non marque engine swap will mean loss of any MOT exemption already claimed.
I did exactly what Kapri has suggested here last year with my 1935 Ford, and got the new V5 back within three weeks with no trouble. And it was in the middle of the first lockdown!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts