Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shake it, Hobbes
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals....
How do you lot get back the enthusiasm for building?? I am finding it difficult to fit in any garage time, what with the house, work, the kids, the love of my life and everything else. The fact that the powers that be are making it increasingly difficult to register a new build, petrol is through the roof and the old scrap yards are dying out' all seems to be adding to it as well. I really don't want to give up the truck i am trying to build but it's driving me mental.....any tips that you have used in the past would sure be appreciated...:tup:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
go to a car dealer and look at all those "beautifull" new creations coming from all over the world. maybe test drive one and youll be back into the workshop fast :p
pascal

·
Registered
228 Posts
Been there several times and wear that T shirt, if you got the time you got no money,if you got money no time, Family come first believe me.!
Take time out from the project and Garage even for a few months of the summer just go to meets and go back to it in the winter months.
You will be rewarded later on by your Family cause they will enjoy what you have built for them to go out in aswell. If you want insperation look at Lee in my Garage 300e van i did now i am flying with enthusiasum.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
lock it away for a while .. go do the house wife kids etc , if you can afford it buy a cheap older runaround to have fun in ... buy the parts you need for the project when possible and lock them away too , you will get your enthusiasm back eventually and will have the parts waiting for you ...
put some pics up on the garage scene , amazing how other peoples comments can spur you on and make you remember why you started your truck in the first place ...
works for me :smoke:

·
Rod'a'holic
1,037 Posts
Talk to your mates, come round to the garage and look what can be done, get on with it you old tart:shake:

Stop winging and ring me:wanker::D

Love

Rich

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,097 Posts
As soon as my gearbox is fixed come round here and I'll take you for a spin ( sometimes literally ! ) in the POS :tup:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
See if there's a model kit of the truck available and if there is, buy it. Not only will you be able to build what you'e planning to do in miniature, it'll give you time out from your full scale build. Having a scale replica of your build will give you something to aspire to in 1:1. And it'll give you some inspiration. It'll also give you a new angle on your hobby.

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
Been there, done that & keep going back there ! :sniff: :D :grr:

Back when my 57 was a rusty shell, I built all the dash pod / clocks & it sat in a cabinet in the front room. It was kinda an inspiration to finish the bloody thing.
A few beers in the garage with ya mates is good too :tup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I normally take a week off from going in the garage, I make a list of what I want to do making sure some of the early jobs are quick wins that boost the old mojo a bit.

Also add to that a week in the house with the wife and kids is enough to boost my enthusiasm to get back out in the garage!!!!

I must admit, having mates that can come round to shoot the breeze and give advice is a big win, I have yet to find people local to me :sniff:
My support comes from 2 guys who live miles away, they track my build updates on my site, then ring me to give help/advice/pointers.

·
Shake it, Hobbes
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for all the comments, guys, it makes things a lot easier to realise there are others out there who have been thru the same thing. I will take all of the advice and act on it as I can and hope to see you in Garage scene soon!!
Thanks again,
Andy

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Andy,

Come on, get your s**t in one sock and deal with it, christ I might even got a project finished before you :pmsl: Seriously, just keep plodding on and do little bits every now and again, I find if things get low on the enthusiasm front to sit and make sketches of how you can do things, then things click. That way your out of the garage but indoors if Rach and the kids need you for anything. Or you could just ring and have a chat. :tup:

Cheers,

Stu.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I had a low in the winter months, where I struggled to get much done because it was so damn cold! For whatever is stopping you, whether it is family, work or whatever, it is trying to get out of that rut which is the hardest. I agree with the idea of bringing some mates around to natter about rodding ect. And now there are events coming up, that certainly helps too! Book some time off for the Nostalgia Nationals, Drags and Hayride ect, even kill two birds with one stone and take along your family too! These certainhly help me when I want a little motivation aswell:

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
What others have said really Andy, I have been working on this goddamn Pop for over three and a half years now (might even be 4 and a half) but I have in reality only done about 6 months work on it, due to family, money etc...
I have had a couple of weekends off, and now got back into it again, but it's hard going now, I spent all day in the garage yesterday making the drivers side floor... :shake:

It's got to the stage where I do a full days worth of work, and get nothing to show for it...

Beer and mates are good, although I just do the former, kinda keep the Pop to meself (and you guys on here!!!)

Guy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts