Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good to see this addition to the forum. Will the new EU definition of historic be retrospective ? My 1966 Mustang is registered as historic, however it is not completely original and has a later 302 motor with Demon 600 carb' , tri-y headers, Pertronx ignition, disc brakes and Torque Thrust D's. If it ceases to be registered historic as per EU, will it be moved to a different classification (with high tax bracket) or would it be scrap ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,205 Posts
Very good question and one that will probably remain unanswered for another 24 months :( There are so many questions to be asked , and problems to be raised ( like 8 points system to be cancelled?). We will shortly be adding an update to the ACE forum expressing our concerns and the POSSIBLE issues caused . Then it will be down to those in contact with DfT to ask them. Unless of course we get an open consultation when we can ALL have input.

We do have the advantage that DVLA don't want to spend money so simplest and cheapest way out will probably prevail. That would be to draw a line under existing Historics and start from a set date. Howeveras they are defining Historics as 30 years old what about all those cars (post 74 and NOT currently Historic) who are legal under 8 points system and suddenly won't be ? What about the 8 points system going forward from 30 years on existing vehicles ??

We are pretty unique within the EU with our freedom to modify ( virtually) as we chose so have far more vehicles to take into consideration.

Before anyone gets existed and thinks all cars from 30 years old will get 'free' tax that is also NOT mandatory . However any laws relating to Historic will encompass anything falling within the new definition.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought the recent budget announced that historic definition for tax exemption would now be 40 years. I can see this going to get very messy before anything is decided.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,205 Posts
Tax exemption at 40 years ...yes. Historic status at 30 years but NOT tax exemption ...in the EU proposal :)

In reality Historic is going to be a self resolving issue isn't it? After all how many modern cars will make it to 20 ( even 15) years old let alone 30?

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
jeez...
you go away for a while and take your eye off the ball and suddenly, one of your predictions comes true...

Note the date that we posted this... 14 YEARS AGO!!!

FIVA define 'historic' vehicle | www.the-ace.org.uk.

I remember Rosie Pugh's response to me when I said that the EU would use the definition for legislation...
She said that it was a campaigning tool and she had been ASSURED that the politicians had no plans to make policy around it.

Also scarilly, the one about the Ultra low Emissions zone in london, that was roundly met with 'it'll never happen' now has serious legs as well..
Serious enough to be concerning the classic magazines anyway.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Hopefully some common sense will prevail re modifications. Basically if you restomod a 57 Chevy and from the outside it's still easily identifiable as a 57 Chevy, then by my reckoning, that's sufficient for historical status....

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hopefully some common sense will prevail re modifications. Basically if you restomod a 57 Chevy and from the outside it's still easily identifiable as a 57 Chevy, then by my reckoning, that's sufficient for historical status....
What are you smokin' man? Can I have some?:pmsl:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,205 Posts
Well seeing as they've had a different interpretation of that , the DVLA 8 points system ,for over 30 years , can't really see that panning out;).

In actual fact the fight should be on to even retain that and I can't see it happening I'm afraid.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
What are you smokin' man? Can I have some?:pmsl:
He is smoking the only stuff available who someone who now has a rag-top Shelby type clone but still leaves an image of the Vette he 'downgraded' from as his 'sign-in' avatar on this forum lol!

·
Registered
661 Posts
with the FIVA definition, and the FBHVC representing the british classic car enthusiast it looks like we're stuffed...

from the FBHVC site...

The Federation exists to maintain the freedom to use all historic vehicles in the UK.

In support of that aim, the legislation team, headed by the director and deputy director, work to monitor both proposed legislation and regulation and the operation of existing legislation and regulation to promote and protect the right of enthusiasts to use and maintain their historic vehicles on the road

without unreasonable restriction;
without modification;
without the need to conform to the performance, roadworthiness and environmental standards which are applied to the generality of modern vehicles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
with the FIVA definition, and the FBHVC representing the british classic car enthusiast it looks like we're stuffed...

from the FBHVC site...
I think your reading that wrong, without modification I.e having to fit seat belts, indicators etc to meet modern requirements

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
He is smoking the only stuff available who someone who now has a rag-top Shelby type clone but still leaves an image of the Vette he 'downgraded' from as his 'sign-in' avatar on this forum lol!
Ain't that the truth Ross! See ya tomorrow, Aaron's coming in his 50 Stude too...:tup:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,205 Posts
The Federation stance is that Historics shouldn't have to be modified to remain ON the road. It would be a first if any modification was retroactve ie it isn't necessary to retrofit seat belts, or amber indicators , fog lights etc etc to Historics . So any victory claimed over having to run 'Daytime running lights' etc etc is complete tosh.

However the EU legislation about to be ratified , giving the UK up to 24 months to implement is phrased the other way, NO modifications to be allowed rather than required by legislation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I work in the classic car industry, I can't think of a single car I work on that would meet the no modification rule. So either all classics are band or something has to give ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,205 Posts

·
Lurking Loon
96 Posts
All this is nothing new, ACE has been warning about the possibilities for some 8 years now, no need to worry though " It'll never happen" .
Yeah, it'll never happen, right up until it does (Because there's been no push-back, because "it'll never happen"). :(

I really do wish people'd stop flying off the handle over vague rumours of doom and despair they hear on The Book of Face, and put some of that energy into actually doing something about the documented potential doom that's actually incoming. :shake:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Right I've read it through several times now, it's just not that bad , it might stop people building pro street pops so easily but builders have been taking advantage of grey areas for years as is what will change ? There are plenty of shoulds in it and I think rebuilding existing cars will become popular

The main problem is it will have little or no effect on the classic car industry in the main so they aren't going to fight big time.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,205 Posts
There are no grey areas in reality , there's totally standard ,8 points system and BIVA for legality. The grey areas are only that few people have been caught :)

Not going to affect the classic car industry ? What about coachbuilders rebodying 4 door saloons into 2 seat tourers, won't be allowed under the new rules. Blown up classic with unobtainable engine , no change for other spec will be allowed . All assuming that the spec goes through unchanged.

No Co-eval modern recreations allowed ( popular mods within 10 years of end of model run ) only contemporary co-eval to be allowed.

"It won't happen , they can't police it" . I could , quite easily, but I'm not stupid enough to put out how on an open forum;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts