Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Box 500
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see on the yahoo news that the couple that won £56 million pounds on the Euro lottery are thinking about packing up work. Would you have to think about it?
I also remember the couple that won millions on our lottery a few years back, when asked what they will do with the money they replied they will buy a new lawn mower. Some people don't deserve that sort of money. I'll show them how to spend if they need help.

I would pack up work and give myself even more work when I build my million pound rods .

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,263 Posts
I've talked about this with mates and most think there's something wrong with me as I say it couldn't really change my life for the better .I've been retired for almost 17 years ( YOUNG I must add ! ) Sure I could buy lots of cars but the pleasure for me is in the building and all the money in the world couldn't change my health to make that easier . Our modest house is paid up and I've finally got a decent size garage to be happy with .

It wouldn't even change the style /cost of what I build , I'm happy with what I do and at what level . Thinking about it I might actually go back to a V8 !

It would be nice for Marian to be able to stop working to feed us but I would mainly use the money to benefit others.

·
Box 500
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kev, when I say I would build a million pound rod, like you say my taste in style of rods wouldn't change but It would be nice to buy a original steel 32 3 window to rod and you have to be a millionaire to buy one of those , it would still have to be in red oxide though sprayed on instead of hand painted though lol.
Kev where it would do your health good you could have a nice huge comfortable garage in a all year warm climate by the sea, I can just see you in your pure silk Hawaiin overralls lol.
I certainly wouldn't be into Rolls Royces or Farrarris etc.

I've talked about this with mates and most think there's something wrong with me as I say it couldn't really change my life for the better .I've been retired for almost 17 years ( YOUNG I must add ! ) Sure I could buy lots of cars but the pleasure for me is in the building and all the money in the world couldn't change my health to make that easier . Our modest house is paid up and I've finally got a decent size garage to be happy with .

It wouldn't even change the style /cost of what I build , I'm happy with what I do and at what level . Thinking about it I might actually go back to a V8 !

It would be nice for Marian to be able to stop working to feed us but I would mainly use the money to benefit others.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I wouldnt know what to do ? FIRST , i mean , i wouldnt know what to do first:tup:

Loads of travelling and racing , more travelling , more racing........I would need one hell of a garage as well....:smoke:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Id like to think that it wouldnt change me ........ But it might change the way i build

I would still build rather than pay to have built but i wouldnt be lying out in the open in all weathers :tup:

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you stop to think about what it really means, it couldn't help but change your life... If you don't buy every round at the pub people will think you're a tight-arse for a start. The world and his wife will always expect you to help out with their small financial difficulties. You'll never really know why people want to become your friend any more. I ain't saying I'd turn down a wedge if I won it, but it wouldn't all be plain sailing either.......

·
THATS MR TATFINK TO YOU
961 Posts
shedster your right ,i tattooed a footballer who said he was showing off if he bought everyone a drink ,and a tight arse if he didnt ,couldnt win
but what a problem to have eh :tup:
i would enjoy treating/spoiling mates [the real ones ] and as wayne said theres a awfull lot of racing to enjoy

·
Registered
520 Posts
well I know what I would do ,take my stock 100e down to kwik fit and say put a full set of tyres on that mate ! how much for cash ?? :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
If I won all that cash, I think I would give a lot away to the folks that had helped me most on the R&S forum.

Form an orderly queue. :)

But really I would be embarassed to have all that cash when there are so many needy people.

If you had the publicity, then I think life would be hell, as you would not be able to live a quiet life, but I am sure you would soon know who your real friends were.

Bigger house, loads of land in the middle of nowhere, huge workshop and build, race, break, build, race, break etc etc etc.

·
Slacker journo
143 Posts
I'd avoid all the problems of publicity by going over the Atlantic and doing the grand coast to coast US road trip I've always promised myself. After that I'd probably go and spend some time exploring Australia and New Zealand.

·
richard rawlplug
8,140 Posts
i would rid america of a few muscle cars to keep my collection of vintage dragsters company in my double glazed,dehumidified,carpeted multi story car park at my private dragstrip in the back yard of my 200 acre estate...

a few upto date nitro funny cars would be had also,2 in the states to play with the yanks and 2 to do the serious stuff in europe....:D

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
I think the best thing about winning that amount of dosh, is that it would give you time to enjoy your life.
Always seem to be rushing about, taking kids about, stuff at home, hassles of work & trying to find bit of car time.
You would have time to still build cars how you like 'em, but in a nice big (heated :tup:) garage, with all the stuff at hand.

Oh & not having to go to work would be good :D

Saying that, I cant win £10 on the lottery. The only thing I won in a raffle, was a garden hosepipe & sprinkler system & I lived in flats at the time :shake:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Winning a huge prize like this lucky couple would certainly change my life ! Work would just be an unpleasant memory, along with financial stress and long term worries about things like retirement and how to pay for it , the stuff that really limit most normal people in our day to day struggle to survive.
Money like a big lottery win is a chance to have true freedom and independence that most of us can barely imagine,of course it helps to have the intelligence to spend/invest it wisely.
I certainly won't have my name and picture on public display if I ever get lucky!

·
Box 500
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I worked in london, to break the boredom driving the 70 miles home on a sturday afternoon I would daydream of what I would do if my lottery numbers come up and I won 4 million.
I have a big family so I would work out how much I would give each then their kids, then if giving to my family I would have to give the same to the wifes family, then I would give the business including the property to my employee, then there's a few friends hard up.
By the time I arrived home I only had a grand left.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
I think we have all had the dream, what would I spend it on.
The first thing I would do is ring the old man, and get him round here to talk sense. Years of wisdom and experience always outweigh the stupidity of youth.
I would like a nice house, not neccessarily 23 bedrooms with 12 ensuites, probably a small pad within ten miles of here, but enough room for a decent garage. Small farmhouse type job, with a few acres to cut.
As for cars, if money was no object, a 2nd hand Overfinch Range Rover. Wouldn't want new, cos the first time some jealous bastard keyed it down Aldi, I would be vexed.
Pay the cards off, and bung my current gaffer a few bob, he has been very good to the works over the past 12 months, whilst times have been dire. Just enough to get them out the shit.
And I might even bung Stevie T a few gallons of yellow paint, so he could freshen up his skips:incheek:

One thing is certain, lots of people from years ago would come out the woodwork, asking if I remembered them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts