Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Welding Guru
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like to share how i fabricated the headers for my fairlane. i even fabricated the "donuts" to make any degree bend i wanted. the radius of these bends cannot be formed on any mandrel bender. the donuts are spun on a series of formers i machined.The inner diameter of the donut is 12mm!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Nice work, just about to start work on mine for a straight six ,don't think they'll look as nice though :tup:

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Just like to share how i fabricated the headers for my fairlane. i even fabricated the "donuts" to make any degree bend i wanted. the radius of these bends cannot be formed on any mandrel bender. the donuts are spun on a series of formers i machined.The inner diameter of the donut is 12mm!

Excellent work, I'd like to know how you fabricated the donuts. Also, where the the 4 pipes come close together, how will you manage to get in there to weld?
I hope to make my own headers soon so I'm all ears!
Are you using stainless or mild steel?

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
If anyone needs flanges......

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
Taxirod.. The way I'd do it is:

Tack each pipe run first in the position they will be.

Weld each pipe run indvidually

Then weld all four to the flange.

Where the four pipes enter the collector they will be grouped together in a square. You weld the ends of the pipes first and also put a shaped piece to blank out the hole in the centre.

Once all four pipes are end welded you then put the four pipes into the collector and then weld around the outside.

Hope that makes sense.

All you have to do is do it now. Sounds simple :whistle: :shake: but I bet it won't be.

Good luck and show us how you get on.

Jon

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yep love to see a money shot of the formers on the spinning lathe if you can share, and how did you generate the form radius's correctly? with a vertically pivoting short tool with its pivot clamped in the toolpost?

I feel a mini shed project on the way...

·
Registered
862 Posts
So Mr Weldtech, are you going to make and sell dognuts to us lesser capable people, and if so, I would like two with just a dusting of sugar...
Great fabrication by the way...

Iggy

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
There is another way of doing the collectors.....

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
Cool Paul. :tup:

Jon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts