Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
scavengers cc
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right where shall i start.....on the 4th sept i thought i`d just load a vid on to our SCAVS website as a taster and then start to load lots of pics and some vids on the monday night, well monday come and quess what, no fucking internet so i took the phone off the hook (which is what we have to do some times to get internet) and still fook all, so i give up........tuesday night i go to get on the net again and still fook all, so this time i call AOL ......they ask me what router i have and i tell them its a netgear and the model number and they say sorry we don`t support that router.....well you bloody well have for the last 6 years.....sorry sir theres nothing we can do he says.....so i asked to be put through to someone so i can cancel my contract with AOL........Anyway someone comes on the phone and is trying to get me NOT to cancel my contract sayiny they will give me a brand new router and the best possible broadband we can get in our area ...all for just £19.99 instead of the fucking £51.99 we are paying now...NO i tell them, i`ve had enough of aol and want to cancel my contract ....so they say ok i can cancel..................

Right so i now get in contact with SKY as we have sky tv anyway i thought i`d have the FULL package ie; broadband, full sky channels (except sport) and phone line all for £65.00 a month
now remember i`m paying aol 51.99 a month, sky 24.99 a month and then BT 70.00 every 3 months for line rental..........i`ll let you do the sums on that one.............anyway SKY ask me if i can get a MAC code from aol, so i call aol and get a mac code and tell sky the code and its all arranged for our sky broadband and phone line to start this wednesday (21st sept).........so thats it AOL have been cancelled so NO internet for about 3 weeks .....damn it.......well it does`nt matter cos we ain`t got any frigging internet with aol anyway.........they the ohter night i thought for some reason i`d turn on the router.......and its friggin working....so my son goes on the net and i jump onto my laptop to update our scavs wesite while i can......then on thursday 15th i get a bank statement and AOL have taken another £51.99 OUT OF MY ACCOUNT........straight on the phone to them and speaking to some fucker in pakistan whos telling me that they every right to take the money out of my account.........thats it i lose it with this cunt on the phone (why do people get brave on the phone) ....and hes telling me i have`nt cancelled my account.....so i rush off to the bank and they immediatly put in a form saying that that they have taken the money from my account when they should`nt have...............quess what....i get an email from AOL saying the bank had stopped the payment and can i make a payment to stop them charging me an extra £3.50 to add to the £51.99 they have already tried to steal from my account...................so i thought fuck them i`ll call them this monday and tell them i`m not paying it cos my account was cancelled on the 6th sept and i`ve gone with SKY since then............at least we got some internet over this weekend..............but we had no internet for about a week or so........so if anyone is thinking of changing to another provider DO NOT GO WITH AOL they are a fucking joke..............and i have sent a letter to the complaints department of AOL........bet they`ll do fuck all...............joe

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Had loads of grief with aol a few years ago cancelled my contract and they still managed to withdraw funds from my account it only stopped when I cancelled my bank card :tup: and then they contacted me telling me the needed my new bank card details to "continue providing internet access" even after I told them in writing a second time they still pestered me to renew.
When I cancelled the bank card the bank told me it was the easiest way to get around the problem and they had loads of customers complaining that after they had cancelled aol were still withdrawing funds.
How can they get away with that kind of behavior :shake:

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
To be honest, I loved AOL when we used them a few years ago, I remember having absolute nighmares with internet connection, calling AOL systematically over the next 5 days, trying this then that all to no avail, it would work for about an hour or so at a time, then go off and wouldn't reconnect, eventually I got a canadian guy on the helpline and he said if it takes me all night, I will sort it out, and full marks to him, and this might apply to a few of you AOL users, Do you know what the problem was? you wouldn't believe it, the canadian guy was on the phone to me for about an hour and half, and we tried everything between us, settings, programms, etc etc, just when he was about to give up, he says, have you got sky tv?, yes I reply, do you have the sky lead plugged into your phone line for the red button and on demand options?, yes I reply, unplug it mate he says, Unplugged it, and presto, perfect internet connection, and twice as fast as it ever was, turns out, AOL does not like sharing the house line with sky tv. Never had another days trouble after that. But we moved house and went with Virgin, ntl as it was then, and in my own personal opinion there is no better internet connection in the uk. It was interesting to read the consumer watchdog results of internet speed tests, Virgin was top with at least 3 times more speed than any other supplier, the amazing thing was bt came much lower than the other suppliers who all use bt lines to transmit data!

·
scavengers cc
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE!!!!........spoke to AOL last night to make sure they know i had cancelled with AOL and they said yes we know and when i said so why have you tried to take out £51.99 from my account they said......................well you new provider might not have you up and running on the 21st like they said they will so we need you to make another month in advance (15th to 15th of each month) payment and when your new provider takes over we will refund you the difference.......so another words you won`t charge me at the end ie 15th sept to the 21st sept (6 days) of aol usage, .....no we need a moth in advance payment then we will refund you the rest...........you bollox i told him and also told him i`m not paying £51.99 and for AOL to send me a final bill (which will be for 6 days) and i will pay it then for the RIGHT amount ...with this he says that if i don`t pay it then they have ways of getting the money....so told him what a dick he was and hes trying to scare the wrong person and he can come and get the money himself if he wants.............guess what;.........he said no................joe

·
Registered
656 Posts
ive never and will never pay more than £20 a month for tinternet currently £21 with virgin and at the moment no big issues touch wood! and have cable connection which is faster than the regular Internet over ya phone line.

have read of random issues with peeps getting "upto 8mb" but as stated this is an UPTO speed and is not guaranteed, as depends how far you are from the local telephone exchange ie upto 3.3kilometers other than that your on the fringe of reasonable connection speeds.
then to take into consideration, contention ratio - which is how many people will be banded on the same connection as you, usually 50to1 so 50 other people will be using the same connection at the same time thus you get the slowdowns at certain times of the day.

1 guy wrote to a pc mag a few yrs back and got bt or his provider to come and put the connection in multiple times as his connection wasnt good and got 2 weeks of great speed and some times got less than what he had before, it transpires that there is a 2 week "normalisation period" this works out the mean average speed for the connection and then takes the mid speed which depending upon the cable location times of the day etc can shaft you on the previous connection.

don't know what service you were getting for 52 quid but royally shafted with that, im sorry to say.

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
£51! Fuck me Joe I pay £8.50 with o2 and get between 3-4mb and it is rock solid.

P.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
have had trouble with aol in the past ,no internet for a week etc, told them i was going to go take my businuss elsewhere unless they could give me the same package for 9.99 a month , been fine ever since , did the same with my vodaphone phone contract and also pay 9.99 a month with web text and calls . most of these companies have a " special deal " for people that are leaving , if they dont offer it hang up and dial again you will normally get an operator willing to give you the deal in the end ..

·
Stroker
5,501 Posts
I was with aol at the beginning of the uk internet a lonnng time ago :pmsl:
It became apparent that it was obviously for american young uns because it took over and controlled all browsing and frustrated the hell outta me.
Took a while to bin em and go over to Demon (are they still around?) and they did demand/threaten an extra final payment. Sent shitty letters too.

Suppliers always try and charge one last fee after cancellation. Must be an accepted scam on their behalfs.

With plusnet now and got 18Mbps which is good apparently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts