Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are an F1 fan or not ,todays racing was the nuts it don't get much better than that mercedes seem to have nailed it with there engine and set up, no team orders either hats off to them for letting them race, and to all the Hamilton haters he drove a brilliant race and who cannot be proud of seeing a brit on the podium (not saying what step as don't want to spoil it for anybody not seen the race yet) if your not a fan just watch it on i player maybe you will change your mind ?
Kev

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,444 Posts
Bores me rigid. Tried to get into it but it reminds me of football, huge amounts of money being thrown around and cars that are like Scalextric cars. Gearboxes with no synchromesh and crossplies would liven it up a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was sort of the point I was trying to get across, I personally have not been a lifelong fan but have got into it a bit more over recent years, don't agree with a lot of the rules and have fallen asleep during a race before now, but today was more like how it should be there was some brilliant driving on the track and some of the best was from old Lewis

loved todays race, im a fan but f1 has become stale in the last few years, but todays was a joy to watch

·
Registered
8 Posts
It was a great race. Plenty of overtaking for a change and this season no Vettel on the podium every race!

It was interesting to hear them say how Mercedes have the advantage with their turbo set up though. The spool part of the turbo sits behind the engine driven by the exhaust gasses as normal while the compressor side of it sit in front of the engine and is driven by a shaft running through the engine block eliminating the need for pipework bigger intercoolers. It also means less heat soak and an aerodynamic advantage with narrower side pods.

Clever thinking so will probably get banned as I can't imagine any other team being able to modify their engines mid season.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
I'm quite ambivalent about F1 now, the racing seems to be secondary to the commercial side, no denying it is a fantastic spectacle for those with very deep pockets.

I prefer the BTCC now, it's far more accessible for the average person with a whole days racing costing just a fraction of the price it costs for F1 and even if you can't get to a race it's on TV for free too :tup:

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
I don't get all the 'too much money etc' arguments, what has money got to do with the way the race was today? It was fantastic racing & f'ing close! I haven't been a big fan the last couple of years, but todays racing was how it used to be.

Gary.
Exactly what I thought, not a fan of the new rules etc, but today's race was the best for years. although i thought it very dubious how no one commented on the rollover, can't remember who it was at the start of the season, but he predicted that cars would be picked up off the floor with the new lower noses.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Far too many rules and regs. F1 should be just that Formula 1 the best that can be built not "your not allowed this" and "your not allowed that".
Absolutely. The premier class of any motorsport should be 'anything goes'. There probably still wouldn't be a lot between the top teams but at least the cars may look different to each other...

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Watched the race and it was indeed one of the best races in recent years, brilliant close wheel to wheel racing, good to see some overtaking again which has been sadly lacking. Very alarmed to see one of the cars doing a barrel roll :shocked:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I stopped watching it in the early 90's. Its been a circus ever since Mr. Ecclestone altered the rules way back then, IMHO, I hasten to add. I voted with my feet back then, it was immediately after that awful weekend when Ronald Ratzenberger and Aarton Senna both died. He wanted Ferrari to be competitive back then so introduced the fuel stop. At the time, they couldnt finish a race without running out. It was a joke. I suspect it still is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts