Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It'll be a while yet as I've a couple of other projects on the go, but I quite fancy building a fabric bodied "special". There are quite a few different approaches from ash frames and padded fabric (instead of ally or steel) all the way through to bi-plane style construction. Back in the old days full or sometimes half fabric bodies were commonplace, presumably as it's easier to form compound curves etc... so, anyone out there running/building, or have any experience of fabric bodies?

A couple of different approaches...

Padded fabric on an MG...

Canvas over a conduit frame on a Velorex...

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
94 Posts
fabric my arse. john I think you would be better off finishing Julie's kitchen. sorry if this seems a bit unfair. iv got to work in our garden, so I think its fair you should be working in your house. I await your reply :bla:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike! I'm at the painting skirting boards etc. stage so I'm taking as many coffee breaks at the computer as I can... plays hell with my back otherwise... How come you can reach the p.c. if you're hard at work in the garden? I'll post a couple of pic's in chat so you can get your fill of the new kitchen!!!
I must admit that I've thoroughly enjoyed playing at being a chippy - another reason why I fancy a wood frame, fabric (or ally) bodied car - wood is just so much nicer to work with than metal, or maybe that's just me that thinks that way.

·
Fat Handed Twat
201 Posts
I've seen quite a few over the years, and my pal Julian is a proper old school vintage car upholsterer. He's re-covered several.
It was originally done for two reasons; cost and weight.
The weight aspect is why so many sporty cars like VanDen Plas bodied bentleys and small racing cars like Austin seven Ulsters etc are fabric bodied.
I really can't recall ever seeing a rod done with a fabric body, you should go for it, it would be really unique!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been looking at old "cyclecars", as they were known, and quite a few had single skin fabric bodies purely for weight saving as monstermachine stated - with this style of car many were chain drive and relatively low output engines so needed all the help they could get.
It doesn't look like a skill that one could just pick up tho'... might need to practice on a sidecar first...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
If you are doing a fabric cover over a sheet wood body, I would think its just a case of getting the carcase to a good shape then a glue and nail job, if you want a fabric body over a open wooden frame I would think its again get the frame to follow the lines of what you want then fabric and dope, bit like model aeroplanes we all built when we were kids,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts