Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, don't want to open a full explanation on this one at this stage so just a question to anybody who may know a bit about the law on internet.
When somebody writes something vile and offensive (not to mention lies) about you on facebook, and then invites and incites people to come to your premises and cause problems, is there anything you can do?
Or should I just shrug it off and forget it?
For anybody that knows about this kind of stuff, if you think I can do something, let me know and if needed will post the full story on here for people to see and advise on.
Cheers,
Jim
p.s. it's nothing to do with any of the vehicles I've sold.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Jim if I'm not mistaken you take it up with the polis as it could cause harm or be threatening also slandering it is against the law and there quite hot on it at the moment and have dedicated internet teams who look into this cyber shit
On the other hand there's always the old style. Ethos of dealing with this crap

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Well there have been cases of people arrested and jailed for posting stuff on both "twatter" and "facearse". One guy said he was going to blow up an airport and several anothers named the victim in a rape trial. In addition several local gangster types were prosecuted after they posted photos of themselves with guns and stolen cars on FB and some of the London rioters were arrested following organising places to riot over twitter so I would say get screen grabs of all the stuff and head down the local Police station.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Jim,

Somebody posted all the new laws involving the internet on the NSRA forum in the last week.

I can't remember what post it was so you have to have a search over the last weeks postings.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everybody, I printed it all off this morning before he could remove my explanation which showed him to be wrong, then this afternoon, my wife had had enough of it so she reported it to facebook and his whole thread was gone within minutes. I will take the printed copy to the police as has been suggested by you guys and some family and friends I spoke to about it. They said to have it logged in case anything happens which could be attributed to the thread. there are no specific threats, they were made on the phone, but the guy did incite people to come and damage my cars and cause problems.
Thanks again guys, it has been getting me down and heading me towards that dark place I was once in as I do take shit like that very personally.

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just went in and had a look and it has not been taken down at all, and the three people who shared it still have it on their page too. For some reeason my wife cannot get it on her ipad now which is what she used to report it, so looks like all facebook does is hide it from you to make you think it's gone. WTF?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
If you report something, facebook immediately block your view of it and investigate at their leisure, if at all (with eleventy billion members they can't investigate everything).

It is also possible for the people sharing this to block it from you specifically but let everyone else see it.

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,719 Posts
Shame you have to put up with shit like that Jim, I thought your Facebook page was looking pretty good, always someone has to ruin it

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not on mine Andy, they did do something on mine briefly and then removed it. It's what he's saying about me on his that is the problem.
As follows: and problem is some of the idiotd who go along wiht him have shared it and so and so.........

So,had our wedding car booked for a good few months now and then gets an email asking for a £50 deposit via cheque. I emails back saying I don't have cheque book and that I could bank transfer,PayPal or drive to them to pay...nothing for 2 months. Gets a hold of the guy just now and his attitude was fucking terrible.some issue with his emails he said he found out a few weeks ago but didn't think to call me to let me know. So now we have no wedding car,thanks a lot Rock and Roll motors from Grangemouth. Shower of cunts!!!!!!! Anyone know of any classic car wedding hire places in Edinburgh or West Lothian that does cars like 57 Chevys or Plymouth Furys etc please get in touch ASAP as we get married in 3 weeks. And if your passing Rock and Roll motors then feel free to shit on the dashboards of their cars and rearrange the shit to spell out Big Stu was here.....

What really happened:
Guy got a quote a few months ago and booked my car.
6 weeks ago, asked him for a deposit via cheque. He told me he didn't have a cheque book and offered paypal or a debit card, neither of which I take.
So, I e-mailed him back to say that we didn't take either but, as his wedding was a mid week one, we were unlikely to be turnig somebody else away for the same date and so it would be no problem and I could collect the whole amount on the day. Now I didn't get a reply, but didn't expect one and with 50 or so e-mails per day I wouldn't be looking for a reply that I wasn't expecting if you get my drift. I've told him it was okay and everything was booked in.
So, he phones me yesterday and opens very aggressively and rants on about paypal again and said he would be using somebody else's car. I said, hang on mate, I sent an e-mail explaining that all was fine, no deposit needed. He just spoued on that if I knew I had e-mail probs, I should have phoned him, but I didn't know until the other day and it was 6 weeks ago I mailed him, and it was really my other account I had problems with anyway as Andy (motorama) will confirm. I also told him that I would have ben in touch with a week or so to go to finalise times, etc anyway. So he spouted more crap and I just told him that with his attitude I didn't want his hire anyway, so, as the threats and swearing continued, I ended the call rather than get into a slanging match.
So he goes to his facebook and posts the above, which is all lies.
So, I e-mailed him and offered to shake on it and start all over again as I didn't want to let his wife down, but pointed out that it was HE who cancelleld the hire by saying he was using somebody else's car, BEFORE I said I didn't want his hire. So, he doesn't reply on e-mail, but on facebook again, and says that as I was stopping doing weddings, that was why I didn;t care a fuck about ruining his wife's big day WTF, I have just offered to bury the hatchet as i DO care. I don't need the hire, I just didn't want to ruin somebody's day. The reason I am giving them up is that I stress very much on the run up to a wedding in case the car breaks down, and because of that we don't actually get any use of the car for ourselves.
So, I messaged him back again, telling him that i DO care and that my offer to put it behind us and start again would stand until today mid day. He declined, what more can I do??
So, I see a local car guy offering to get cars for him, and these are all guys that I know, but they don't have the full story as he deleted all my comments, and so, this summer, if any of the guys I know help him, it's gonna be uneasy at the shows as they wil either think I WAS a cunt OR if they find out the whole story they will stay away from me as they may feel a bit guilty, and I don't want that. They can help him if they like, but I need them to know the full story, but I don't really want to post all that shit on my rock n roll motors facebook page, as it just draws the wrong kind of viewer in looking for scandal and gossip, all fun for them, not so for me who has suffered from PTSD and other stress in the past, so, I kinda take these things personally, not to mention that I'm in the 'shop till 10pm many nights on my own, and you just never know who or how many may pay a visit, there are some real arseholes out there. I can stand my own ground but there is a limit and I have lots of cars and trucks around me. I mean, what if they send a posse down to fuck up the '57 so I can't do the rest of my weddings? I'm afraid that would only end up one of two ways, me seriously ill in hospital (or worse) or me going to jail.

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
I do not use facebook ever I think its the root of all evil

I had a guy calling me a con man a month or so ago on facebook a mate saw it and sent me a screen shot it very very much upset me as I work hard and am not in any way a con man have done a full rebuild on this guys caravan he owes me 3k and has done for 6 months its legit and is going through the court now hes offered me £500 for 127 hours labour and materials cheky eh?

so anyway this lad is blackening my name saying poisonous stuff about me on facebook and I was fizzing really I dont get mad im too relaxed but a few days stewing about this was making me ill so I phoned the police Fanny eh?

The police were great they came to see me quick too but informed me it was really hard to prosecute this kind of thing that it was becoming really really common and its an american company so governed by american law
I asked about slander or deformation of character but she says no not really

I think this defiantly needs sorting because people listen to things that are posted on Facebook and repeat it even if they forget where it came from they remember the comments

These things hurt

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They do Gary, and I never used facebook myself until very recently when Steve Wilson set up a page for my business. I don't get into the "I had a shit this morning" type stuff and haven't even activated my personal page, which I need to do so I can be admin on the rock n roll motors page, a post which my wife currently fills. It was just after this guy threatened me and invited me to his tattoo shop and he would sort me, that I searched for him on the internet, thinking he would have a web site, but it was only a faceboook page, and within 5 mins of me ending the call, he had spouted his crap on his page. So, I didn't really find it through my facebook, just by searching the net for his shop, but I'm glad I found it as I prefer to know what's going around, rather than have somebody else tell me.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,343 Posts
It's pain in the arse but I refer you back to one of my old signatures.

" You can't stop someone having a bad opinion about you but you can stop them being right".

In these internet days too much shit gets spread around and believed by those who want to think badly of you. If mates don't ask for your side of the story before believing the shit first then you really didn't need them as mates in the first place.

Try not to let it spiral you down , just one guy in the scheme of things.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Looking at this from the outside, the first thing that strikes me is why don't you take paypal or debit card? In business you really need to offer at least one of these options, as far as I can see. Nearly everyone I know uses debit card, as It has all but replaced the chequebook. Please don't take this the wrong way Jimmy, but if you had taken either of the payment methods offered, would the shit not hit the fan? I hope this doesn't blow up out of all proportion, and you get this sorted soon.

Gary.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.