Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whats the best way to prep cracked fibre glass .ive removed loose gel coat,is it fill up all pin holes then prime ,or fill up to as good as ,then prime then stopper up little holes .. or is it to open the nozzle and bury the lot with unthinned 2 pack until u cant recognize what it is youve just painted,, hehe ..

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Neil,the only wat to remedy "cracked" fibreglass is to grind out,down to waiver thin,at the actual crack in a graduated "VEE"aprox 3to4 inches either side of it,you may need to "brace the work piece with a simple pop riveted piece of ally or simular depending on the size of the crack,as a temporary support,you should pre cut several strips off glass matting,get an old dish or hubcap,mix your resin with a drop only of catylist,immerse your strips into the resin and stipple in thoughly with a paint brush,when totally absorbed ,transfer the strips one at a time to the workpiece,(its at this point you will realise you need rubber gloves)and stipple in each individual piece,using the mixed resin,leave to thoughly cure,lightly sand ,you need to inspect it carefully at this stage weather it requires more glass/resin, or straight on to filler in the normal way prior to primer,This may read as clear as mud,so if you need to call me on 07802962991,bry

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re fibre glass prep

hey thanks boss , is it neccesary to fill up pin holes etc then prime with 2k as this does have substantial filling properties as your most probably aware of..as this mould is pretty pitted etc. its not gunna be a showjob ,just a clean tidy attempt

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Yea Neil ,use a polyester (fine) filler prior to priming,for pinholes,and i really would recommend,you take a couple of hours extra at tis point,even if it means putting "another"spread of filler in,the effort is worth it in the long term,once the paints on thats it dude ,Bry

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
re fibre glass prep

hey ,thks people ,langy cheers for that i will aquire some of the 2k stopper as it is definately in need of some ,cheers bry ,i know you get out what you put in so if it comes up fair then ill be happy .. if filling be the food of life lets eat errr:sniff: c you in ten years haha

·
Banned
489 Posts
Yep cracks need a hole drilled at the end but they still will need grinding back to eliminate them. I always grind back to glass and then refill with glass and finally skim with body filler.

·
Administrator
10,304 Posts
If its only cracks in the gel coat then a Dremel with one of the glass (window) etch balls will grind the cracks out down to the glass matt very quickly and easily.
I then used polyester 'flowcoat' (gelcoat) to fill the cracks back in again and then flatted back.
For pinholes you can use the dremel and flowcoat (or filler) to get flat.
Then use Epoxy primer to overcoat as not many primers stick to glass that well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.