Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to those of you that have followed along on my build thread here:-

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6172

Thanks also for such great comments, they're greatly appreciated. Well, it's come to that time where the project is just about finished after a good few years locked up in the garage. Just a bit of fine tuning, a few tweaks here & there, fit the crossram intake & it's all done. Woo Hoo!!!!

The car's been on the road for a while now in an unfinished state, shaking it down & getting to grips with it. I'm extremely happy with the way it's turned out. It isn't built to be a show car & I certainly wouldn't expect it to do well in the trophy winning department. There's very little "bling", minimal chrome, no big wheels & no fancy paintwork. What I set out to do was build a car that looked as if it's a bit of a time warp, with nothing fitted to it that wouldn't have been fitted "back in the day".

Sure, it looks pretty stock & that's the whole ethos behind a build like this. Most people won't give it a second glance when they see it as there's nothing on it that shouts "look at me". That suits me just fine :tup:. It's not what you can see, it's what you can't see that makes this car a little bit special. If anythings been added or moved, it's just been painted satin black to look as if it's all original. A case in point being the front & rear suspension, looks all stock doesn't it?? The engine also, just looks like a clean, fuelie headed 302, nothing special to look at at all. All very understated. Again, the interior is just as GM intended apart from the roll cage & a couple of additional gauges to keep tabs on what's going on in the engine department. It's really a bit of a "plain Jane" car.

I've been asked quite a few times now which shows I'll be going to with the car, unfortunately its show duty will be minimal. It's built as a driver & a strong track competitor & to say I'm pleased with it is somewhat of an understatement :twisted: :pmsl:

Thanks for taking the time to follow the journey of the cars build & finally,
here's some pics of the finished article:-

Thanks, cheers....Nige

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a loveley car Nige. I would love it sat in my garage deffinateley , well done on the build , I have followed it all the way.

Respect....Wayne
Thanks Wayne, now it's finished it I just wanna drive it. I know that sounds a bit cheesy & stupid, but it turned out like I'd always dreamed it would & driving it is a total blast. Been a long old slog but enjoyed every minute of it.

cheers...Nige

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Bit of De Ja vu going on for me Nige,lol,but seriously you have put together a great looking,tough,first gen car,there wont be a mustang owner viewing this that doesnt question that he bought the wrong car !:D,cant wait to see it ,Bry:tup:

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
Great to hear its on the road Nige, you must be a happy boy.

Glad its everything you wanted it to be & I love subtle mods, best way to go :tup:
I know only too well, the highs & lows of a full rebuild.

Hope to see you about in it soon, maybe chasing a bright orange 57 ! :incheek:

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bit of De Ja vu going on for me Nige,lol,but seriously you have put together a great looking,tough,first gen car,there wont be a mustang owner viewing this that doesnt question that he bought the wrong car !:D,cant wait to see it ,Bry:tup:
Thanks Bry, strangely enough, my mate that did the engine & suspension build (plus a lot of other stuff ) owns & currently races a '70 Mustang in the Historic Road Sports series. He's had umpteen Mustangs over the years & everyone thinks he's a die hard Ford man. He came out with a jem the other day saying that he'd always wanted a red '69 Camaro with black Z/28 stripes & that I'd just built his dream car :lol::tup:

cheers....Nige

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great to hear its on the road Nige, you must be a happy boy.

Glad its everything you wanted it to be & I love subtle mods, best way to go :tup:
I know only too well, the highs & lows of a full rebuild.

Hope to see you about in it soon, maybe chasing a bright orange 57 ! :incheek:
Oh yeah, I'm a happy chappy ok, don't think I'd be chasing an orange '57 for long though :pmsl::incheek: I used to own a 10 second '55 years ago & just love '57's & have been following your build too. Looking forward to seeing yours out there at some point

cheers...Nige

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A superb car and a great informative thread. Thanks Nige...now enjoy it.
I certainly intend to :tup:. The sig at the bottom of my posts seems most apt with this car :tup:. It's the most fun I've had with my clothes on, regardless of what gear you're in the car accelerates, handles & stops like an absolute dream, did I tell you I liked it?:pmsl:

cheers...Nige

·
Down but not out
3,024 Posts
sorry but i would change 1 thing...............................................the name on the V5 to mine nice job!

·
78 Bronco BRING IT ON!
440 Posts
I'd like to join everybody else in congratulating you in a job well done.The car looks stunning and mean:tup:.The interior shows it's age in a way that says original muscle car,if you'd done anything else to it ,it would take away part of it's true identity.Thank you for your lead filling lesson , my Bronco`s getting all the time now and I'm getting reasonably good at it.It`s all practise for when I get a rod or something but don't tell the wife! Will look out for the car,where do you race? A day out watching muscle cars being thrashed around a track sounds like a good day out to me, do you ever race at Goodwood?:D

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
love the look:tup:

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd like to join everybody else in congratulating you in a job well done.The car looks stunning and mean:tup:.The interior shows it's age in a way that says original muscle car,if you'd done anything else to it ,it would take away part of it's true identity.Thank you for your lead filling lesson , my Bronco`s getting all the time now and I'm getting reasonably good at it.It`s all practise for when I get a rod or something but don't tell the wife! Will look out for the car,where do you race? A day out watching muscle cars being thrashed around a track sounds like a good day out to me, do you ever race at Goodwood?:D
Thanks Paddy, as you say, the interior looks totally period. Although the car has new interior door panels, interior 1/4 panels, headliner & carpet I've resisted the temptation to "shine" them up with the likes of Armourall & the like. I've just left them as is, as they now match in well with the original unmarked seats.

People thought I was mad at one point, as I sold a perfectly good centre console complete with all new gauges as I prefered the uncluttered look of just having the Hurst shifter sticking through a boot on the floor. I felt it was a good choice as sometimes less is more if you know what I mean :tup:

Glad the tips on lead loading were of use to you. I'm going to run the car at various sprints initially to get used to driving the car on track. Once funds allow I'm hoping to enter it into some form of historic circuit racing series. The car's already set up to be pretty competitive anyway, but I figured that by doing sprints first, which are timed flying laps, it'll help me to get used to driving the car at high speeds whilst encountering corners & high speed braking. I'm under no illusions that at the moment, the cars capabilities outweigh mine & that I need more seat time to get used to it's traits & to learn to harness it's full potential. :tup:

cheers....Nige

1 - 20 of 37 Posts