Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so people i brought my first project car thinking "this will be great" and then realised i don't really know what i'm doing. don't get me wrong i'm full of gusto and want to do this however like i said, never done anything like this before! does anyone that has done this before have a plan that they stuck too when it came to fixing it up? i'll upload pictures of what my car currently looks like if that helps, i'm just feeling a little overwhelmed and don't know where to start!

·
Registered
628 Posts
body work, rust sorted first.
running gear,
brakes
engine
paint
interior

enjoy!!

Its so easy to talk about it but harder to find the time to do it. What I will say is what a lovely shape so much potential

·
Registered
89 Posts
My advise is to be realistic about what tools / equipment / budget / skills you've got to build a car. Don't be scared to farm out some of the work, there are some good guys out there who don't charge a fortune. Sometimes by the time you've brought materials and equipment for a job it's more economical to pay someone to do it. If it's street rod get a donor car and use as much of the drivetrain as you can do your homework on possible donors look at track width etc. also think about what you will use the car for if your going to put the miles on it be honest about what engine configuration you can afford to run. Builds develop as you move down the road with them my Pop was going to be street and strip but being honest I won't use it on the street so the build has moved to strip only. If ide been clear about this from day 1 the build would have been different. Finally however long you think build will take at least double it my car has been rumbling on for nearly two years and won't be out until next year, I figured 18 months. Regards Mark

·
Registered
436 Posts
Stick the body on a VW beetle floor pan,run it fenderless and a healthy roof chop...register as a VW rebody...sell off the original chassis & v5 to get back some funds,main engineering done by VW.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the help so quickly guys! much appreciated. my plan is to go touring in it. crazy i know but thats the plan. as for looks, i want it to look as original as possible on the outside, with a nice dark, maybe royal blue, with a blue and cream interior. the inside i want to change quite a bit for the long distances, might need some mod cons! some people are getting upset that im not restoring it to original, but i brought it for a purpose and i plan to stick to it! the main problems i think im gonna find is finding an engine small enough. i mean ive not measured the space yet, but its tiny. and i cant find a rwd engine small enough! all this being said, if anyone has any crazy idea's as to what i could do to it, being realistic with the fact its going to be going long distances, speak up!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,097 Posts
What experience of playing with cars do you have, what sort of tool collection do you have and anywhere to work undercover ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
minimal experience playing with cars, decent tool collection but thankfully have friends who own engineering companies, so all tools there at my disposal too. major downside that im currently losing sleep over is the last one, i dont have anywhere to work full stop. hopefully should have somewhere undercover by march, but thats a rough guess.

·
Registered
628 Posts
rent a garage, 20ish a week

measure up the engine bay and we can all suggest engines, you can always cut the hell out of the bulkhead to fit something

The beetle idea is genuinely a great idea id seriously think about it if i was you mate

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i was debating getting a garage, but figured i'd then have to use a system of pulleys to hold me above the car whilst i work on it from lack of space. which..... wouldn't be ideal!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,097 Posts
Personally I'd find some other rodders in your area and see if you can watch / help on their cars first.It'll give you af eel for what you are letting yourself in for:)

·
Premium Member
14,309 Posts
definately don't strip the whole car apart. work on one area at a time. if you strip your first big project completely down it can overwhelm you and you may throw in the towel and it'll be another unfinished project in the classifieds.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Build a lean to at the side of the house, you seem to have some room. Make it a semi permanent fixture, out of wood, so it can be removed if anybody moans. Thus convenient to power, tools and the kettle, and saving you rental.

·
Premium Member
14,309 Posts
stripping's the easy bit, we all love that. now it's apart it's best to work on one area at a time then move on once that bit's finished. imo it'd make a cool gasser with a straight tube axle on the front.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i might well agree with you if i knew what a straight tube axle was! currently here are my only thoughts on looks, i like the idea of having large back wheels that stick out, ditch the front wheel arches and widen the bonnet to put a nice grill on and not the horrible one that was on there, but thats my thought process so far.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts