Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mrs has made my year by agreeing to let me go to Florida without the famiy :D

I have 2 kids who have never been so it's quite a big deal for me. I'd love to take them, but can't afford for us all to go.

Me and a few mates (JARVIS Racing) are having a week out there in March and it just so happens to be the same week that Billetproof, Daytona Bike Week, Muscle Car Nationals Drag Racing, Florida Mustang show and a few more other events like the Kissimee Cruise, Wednesday night drages , visits to speed shops etc are on.
Should be a full on Gearhead week.

Happy days.
Just wanted to say :tup:

I love my wife !!

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HA Yeh. One of my pet hates is "Holiday clothes" I have plenty of clothes. I'll wear them, I don't need to go and buy new. Can't take many anyway as I need space in the suitcase for goodies to bring home. Maybe buy some event T Shirts to wrap the goodies in and keep them safe.

Last time I went (Many years ago before I met my wife) I went over with a couple of mates, but they weren't into cars so we just had a road trip all around Florida and didn't do one single touristy thing. Not into that kind of thing at all., it was great, we just messed about all day and went to Bars all night. It'll be nice to go with likeminded folk.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Having been lucky enough to do a similar thing thanks to my better half and the 2 mates I went with I got to the Hot Rod Reunion at Bakersfield and the NHRA meet at Vegas last year all I'll say is ENJOY and make sure you get a few pics to share with us please.:tup:

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
we're off out there at the end of March (fly out on 31st) for a fortnight for my birthday..........really looking foreward to it, never been to Florida before as we usually go to New York (the mrs lived there for a couple of years as a teenager)

Only problem with NYC is no speed shops in Manhattan !

·
Registered
325 Posts
when I was in Garlits last year talking to the guy behind the counter (he has a rodded model A) ... cant remember his name doh

He was telling me that a lot of the rod shops had closed due to lack of business - I couldnt find anything around the Tampa/St Petes areas

Mal

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Malstbird,
Sarasota is where were staying. Free accomodation too.
Billetproof is held at Don Garlits museum. I think it's the same day as the Mustang show and one of the boys I'm going with is having his Mustang painted at the moment and is one of the primary reasons for going so I might miss Billetproof, but I'm not the worlds biggest Hot Rod fan (Still want one though).
Just ordered a bigger memory card for the camera.
There are still a few good speed shops out there and I'll post details up when I get back, but I think there are less Hot Rod shops out there now compared to 10 or 15 years ago.
Going to try and fit in a visit to a couple of chopper builders too, it's going to be a busy week.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,401 Posts
I was supposed to be in St Pete this weekend for the Council of Councils meet, but things have conspired against me going... :sniff:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
My Mrs has made my year by agreeing to let me go to Florida without the famiy :D

I have 2 kids who have never been so it's quite a big deal for me. I'd love to take them, but can't afford for us all to go.

Me and a few mates (JARVIS Racing) are having a week out there in March and it just so happens to be the same week that Billetproof, Daytona Bike Week, Muscle Car Nationals Drag Racing, Florida Mustang show and a few more other events like the Kissimee Cruise, Wednesday night drages , visits to speed shops etc are on.
Should be a full on Gearhead week.

Happy days.
Just wanted to say :tup:

I love my wife !!
Maybe see you out there...we fly out 14March till 1stApril.
Hoping to do many of the events you mention + Daytona Spring Swapmeet. :tup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just round the corner from Murrays is Central Florida Raceway, a Drag, Kart, Drift complex, check it on the Web it's worth a look.Bradenton motorsports park has events every weekend I think muscle car drags are on while your there.Get a Cruise News Mag from Murrays or Old Town Cruise and it will have loads of events listed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just round the corner from Murrays is Central Florida Raceway, a Drag, Kart, Drift complex, check it on the Web it's worth a look.Bradenton motorsports park has events every weekend I think muscle car drags are on while your there.Get a Cruise News Mag from Murrays or Old Town Cruise and it will have loads of events listed.If you go to Garlits the National Parts Depot is just up the road for Firebird parts

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Big Dave - Yep, Bradenton is where were going for the Muscle Car Drags.

Steve, I'll be taking my Rods n Sods T Shirt :pmsl:
There's a guy from Swansea going out at the same time too. He's building a road legal sprint racer at the moment.

I've noticed Kasabian are playing Oarlando on the 18th too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.