Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys..

Ok, so I have a bit of a ambitious plan to sculpt a 34 coupe body from foam and then make a fibreglass copy of the buck..

Reason for this as I am looking for a lower, longer style body than what is on the market at present.. Plus I like the idea of really having a custom built body..

I been reading up on the proper foam that is used but it seems really expensive? I have also read blue (extruded) foam can also be used??

Anyone have any experience with this, any ideas where this stuff could be purchased at a reasonable cost?

The plan was to build a skeleton out of wood on my chassis to attach the foam to and then sculpt it out from there..

·
Rod'a'holic
1,054 Posts
Much less work to cut up a 34 fibreglass body and re assemble it to the shape you want. Look up Hardy county rods for the cheapest coupe body about at the mo. You can get them to mould an extra roof section for example to make it easier to lengthen.

If you still want to do it the hard way building insulation foam works well.

See bellytank build below even that simple shape took a lot of work and filler.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,446 Posts
I think buying another body would also be considerably cheaper than using insulation sheets. The Kingspan type of material is available in 8' x 4' sheets in varying thicknesses but is very expensive. You can get odd sheets left over from building work a bit cheaper on EBay and there is a company (in South Wales from memory) that sells seconds cheaper, but its still expensive!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
If every panel is going to be custom then I would go the foam route. Build the chassis and running gear and then wood frame it and foam where the shapely bits are.
Lots of guys are doing this on Metal meet for Bugattis and stuff like that. I,ll find you a link.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If every panel is going to be custom then I would go the foam route. Build the chassis and running gear and then wood frame it and foam where the shapely bits are.
Lots of guys are doing this on Metal meet for Bugattis and stuff like that. I,ll find you a link.
Thank you sir/madam...

I really like the factory five body you see.. Very straight, clean and quite low slung... Bit like me Hahaha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts