Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a foam filled fuel cell to fit to my rod.

I have two outlets at the bottom of the tank, would this be 2 fuel feeds for bigger engined cars?

Also i have one on the top of the tank, would this be a return or a fuel breather.?

It its a return why dont i have any where for a breather or dont those type of fuel cells need a breather?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
possibly another feed for nitrous system. Most cars won't ever need two pumps.

fitting on top can be used for retun or breather. The caps are normally vented in some way. If you need another fitting in it for a vent, just drill it out and use a -6AN bulhead fitting, can cap it if not needed

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
possibly another feed for nitrous system. Most cars won't ever need two pumps.

fitting on top can be used for retun or breather. The caps are normally vented in some way. If you need another fitting in it for a vent, just drill it out and use a -6AN bulhead fitting, can cap it if not needed
i never ran a return off my 390 holley when it was last on the road with no probs so i guess i will convert that top one into a breather

cheers

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
depends on the pump you are running. A Holley blue top won't need it as it works with a deadhead system and pumps less psi (8-9psi) than the float needle vales are rated to which is about 11 psi. Something like a Mallory 140 or Barry Grant 280 are bypass pumps and pump higher at 15-20 psi so they can be situated further from the carb and not have pressure drop, you them bleed off fuel via a return to give a constant rate of delivery

·
Stroker
5,470 Posts

I asked the question a few years back and think the answer was top one is a vent like i have done above.

And you can use one of lower outlets for return if needed. I just capped mine off.
Was told top outlet is not return as fuel would splash/percolate etc on re-entry (foam shrinks away), and would obviously prevent air coming in to replace fuel. ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I asked the question a few years back and think the answer was top one is a vent like i have done above.

And you can use one of lower outlets for return if needed. I just capped mine off.
Was told top outlet is not return as fuel would splash/percolate etc on re-entry (foam shrinks away), and would obviously prevent air coming in to replace fuel. ;)
what fuel pump you running i was thinking of using a facet red top pump

·
Stroker
5,470 Posts
Hi, just a Holley mechanical 80 gph, I tihnk they were called big red or summat.
Supposed to have a max pressure of 6.5 or summat but still too much for my Edel carb so have regulator.

Electric would be nice as my fuel drains back if left for a few weeks.
I didn't fit a one way doodah and it takes a few goes to get the fuel back up.
Mind, I like to see the oil pressure up and running by the 4th attempt in some strange sentiment that it will prevent wear etc.
Left for a day and it'll start immediately but the. You gotta wait a few secs for oil pressure.
Bollocks probably but I have an XE 274 cam and paranoid about wear.

Cheers
jimbob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts